We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poseidon, Tusa, or Synergy Dives - which 2?

Wrightsville Beach...
4 posts
Save Topic
Poseidon, Tusa, or Synergy Dives - which 2?

We are a family of four, 2 adults and one 13 yr old recently certified, and one 16 year old that is not. We will be staying in Palm Cove the last of December and have two days available to dive. I have heard great remarks about all 3 and know the passenger capacities vary from 12 to 60 ppl. Of most importance to us is the reef(s) we visit and what we will see. Secondly, being that we are newly certified and/or needing an intro dive, the attention we will receive. I orginially booked us on a Tusa Dive (going to outer reefs Flynn, Milln, and/or Thetford - 28 ppl max) with a guide and another with Synergy (going to inner reefs Tongue, Rudder, or Chinamen - 12 ppl max). However, so much talk has been made of Agincourt Reef and Poseidon (60 ppl max) that perhaps I should choose them and then Tusa or Synergy? Since I can only choose two, any suggestions? Also, a 2 day liveaboard to the Ribbon Reefs would be great but a no with Dad! That is why we are choosing day trips.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
TUSA Dive
TUSA Dive
1,432 Reviews
Cairns, Australia
Agincourt Reef
Agincourt Reef
982 Reviews
Port Douglas, Australia
Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poseidon, Tusa, or Synergy Dives - which 2?

Libby - First item here- there are no 2 day live-aboards to the Ribbon Reefs - too far away - must be a 3 night/4 day at min to cover this area.

Tusa is a must - I think they are by far, the most professional bunch out there. Good dive sites (roving permit so they go where the action is, weather will give you the best diving, satisfy the group on board that particular day)- they are not set on having to visit the same one or two sites each day.

Synergy vs Poseidon - gosh, haven't been diving on Synergy so cannot give it my thumbs up, but Poseidon is just great. I would vote for Agincourt over the inner reefs Synergy visits - its a stunning reef and will give you fantastic diving, and the 16yr old will have wonderful snorkeling as well. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poseidon, Tusa, or Synergy Dives - which 2?

Libby - I just looked up Synergy and remember it - in fact, I want to bring to your attention that diving from a Catamaran of this style is quite difficult, as it is from a sailboat. There is no water level platform, so exits/entries (especially exits from the water) will be quite challenging. Also, as a sailing vessel this will not take you far enough to get you where you will want to dive for sure. Would look at Poseidon or Quicksilver's new Silversonic.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poseidon, Tusa, or Synergy Dives - which 2?

Not trying to correct you Bigfish.. Synergy's specs state a snorkel/swim platform? Is it not at water level?

I'm going to email them for more details later today (we are considering it for next year as a private charter).. so if it's water level i'll let you know.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poseidon, Tusa, or Synergy Dives - which 2?

I recieved a reply about water access..

Synergy has two access points into the water from the back of the boat. The platforms (as can be seen in the attached picture) are situated at the bottom of wide stairs are at water level. A ladder is attached to the base into the water once we reach the reef for passengers to climb up and down.

It's a set of steps inbuilt into the rear hulls... i'm not sure I'd like to try it with scuba gear...

Wrightsville Beach...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Poseidon, Tusa, or Synergy Dives - which 2?

Thank you so much for the information! I have made a decision to go with Tusa and Poseidon. Which one do you think we should do first to get our feet wet, pardon the pun! Both are available back to back days. Thanks again.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poseidon, Tusa, or Synergy Dives - which 2?

As you will be staying in Palm Cove, you may wish to try Tusa dive first as it will be closer and a bit easier to do / also smaller numbers so you can get your feet wet on a more relaxed basis. Then book Poseidon as you will add a min of an hour to your day to travel to PD. If you absolutely love Tusa, you can always cancel Poseidon and re-book with Tusa another day. Happy bubbles!

Mentioned in this post
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poseidon, Tusa, or Synergy Dives - which 2?

GW - thanks for this! - I have done more research to look in to this 'platform' they have - yes, it is two entry/exit sets of stairs built in to the rear pontoons with ladder extending in to the water. No actual platform other than the bottom step itself.

Much better than I remembered but still very difficult to exit with full set of gear. Perfect for snorkelers but especially with a family on young newly certified divers, they will need more room for 'error' while imprinting their newly learned skills.

I have looked at numerous web sites to view Synergy's layout and appears to be more than perfect for a charter to the reef for snorkelers - you are one lucky lady and I'm certain there are others that look at your life with awe!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poseidon, Tusa, or Synergy Dives - which 2?

Thanks BF,

What we do next year is not yet set in clay..one of our group is resitant and wants to go with a big cruise (Coral Sea)..I like to have a bit of freedom and really experience the reef...

Synergy looks perfect for what we want so I'll have to do some hard talking..

Mentioned in this post
Coral Sea Resort
Coral Sea Resort
1,263 Reviews
Airlie Beach, Australia
Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poseidon, Tusa, or Synergy Dives - which 2?

Would love to hear a report if someone (Travelport?) can run and take a peek! Or have you already done so on previous visits?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poseidon, Tusa, or Synergy Dives - which 2?

She was in dock when we were there in 04..only had a quick look because it wasn't in our plans at that point... they were alos cleaning and preparing for a day charter with a VIP...