We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Seas??

UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Safe Seas??

Ok i know you will probably think this is a dumb question but here goes....

Is there a calm, safe, beach, that has tiny waves and no rip, anywhere along the queensland coast??

I ask this as it is going to determine where i book a hotel for jan 08 for our visit over from the UK. So its kinda important, as we have novice kiddy swimmers, and i dont wanna have to sit on the waters edge the whole time worrying about them being dragged out to sea !!

Please help !!

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Seas??

Any of the Whitsunday Island resorts (10 of them) can provide that for you and I'm sure a lot of resorts outside this area can do the same. We don't get surf up this way so the waves are tiny indeed.

But there is one very important rule that all Australians learn very early "kids must be supervised at all times near water and supervised in a very thorough way". Australians love of water brings serious consequences with child deaths in swimming pools and beach, river, dam situations and as a result we are all encouraged to vigorously watch our young ones near any depth of water.

The majority of Aussies learn to swim early, but this in no way makes us immune to theses tragedies.

So without sounding alarmist, on or near the waters edge is exactly where you should be when your novice kiddie swimmers enter any depth of water. cheers airlian

Mentioned in this post
Whitsunday Island
Whitsunday Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Seas??

Great advice Airlian. Kimpet, if you want relatively safe seas then do not consider surf beaches, consider Moreton Island ( bay side) the Whitsundays and North Queensland.

Mentioned in this post
Moreton Island
Moreton Island
323 Reviews
Moreton Island, Australia
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Seas??

really wanted to be more south, like mooloolaba or caloundra

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Seas??

Golden Beach would be the safest followed by Bulcock then Kings, check out Rolling surf resort at Kings Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Rolling Surf Resort
Rolling Surf Resort
266 Reviews
Caloundra, Australia
Kings Beach
Kings Beach
768 Reviews
Caloundra, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,733 posts
1,760 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Seas??

Totally agree with Airlian and Surfoz, you cannot go past the Whitsundays for safe calm beaches, although Jan is stinger season and you will need to wear a stinger suit.

The other areas, which have no stinger's and is relevantly calm is Noosa or Moreton Island.

Sydney has some very calm harbour beaches, like Balmoral, Chinaman's, Shelley or Clontarf beaches. (no stingers)

Mentioned in this post
Noosa
Noosa
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Moreton Island
Moreton Island
323 Reviews
Moreton Island, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Balmoral
Balmoral
559 Reviews
Balmoral, Australia
UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe Seas??

We will be on Hamilton from 27 dec till 2nd jan.

Will we need stinger suits then? if so can we hire them at all? dont wanna buy them as there isnt much cause for them in our lovely icey seas of the UK !!!

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe Seas??

Airlian

thanks for that post, it was very sensible and i will tak ethat advise very seriously.

I never take my eyes off my child nr the water anyway, i drive the poor child nuts!!

But i have to say the more i read abt Aus the more ive terrified myself, i laughed as i thought of dodging the bugs, crocs, sharks, jelly fish, snakes, mozzies, etc etc. Talk about an assault course vacation, can i relax at all ya reckon? im half joking by the way. Then.... i have to avoid the biggest predator of all ... LOL THE MEN !!!! that WAS a joke

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe Seas??

as has already been said the whitsundays are the best bet for 'safe beaches'. I use the term 'safe' loosly because any body of water is not really safe for experienced swimmers and children can drown in as little as 10cm of water.

the beaches in the southeast corner are mostly surf beaches, and even the protected areas like moreton island (bayside) and mooloolaba can get big waves and rips. as a rule the surf will be more dangerous at low tide (or when the tide is on the ebb) as the waves turn into dumpers as the water gets shallower and rips developas the tide goes out. always swim between the flags and make sure you accompany your kids when they are in the water. if you want to let your kids swim without close supervision you should look at taking them to the resort pool... that way you can sit on the side and keep an eye on them easily.

as for the bugs - in tourist areas you will not come across that many creepy crawlies. mozzies are irritating, but if you have insect repellant on will not be a problem. spiders usually keep out of reach (people keep destroying their webs if they come too close... and cockroaches shoudl just be stomped on. as for snakes and crocs... most aussies only ever see them in the zoo.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe Seas??

Kimpet you will be able to buy or hire those stinger suits at Hamilton Island, but the overwhelming majority you see swimming will not have them on. So the choice will be yours. Despite everything you see & hear the biggest danger here for kiddies is accidental drowning so all of those things Steve Irwin told you about are the least of your worries.

You'll have a great time at Hammo it has exactly the beach your looking for and while those stinger suits will keep the sun and jellyfish at bay they may attract that major predator "The Aussie Male" they will not be able to hold back their affections while you are dressed in that sexy bit of lycra, so crikey be on alert because just after dark as beers begin to flow as well as the tall stories and the sausages start to burn on the hot plate the Aussie Male will be in his element and on the search for unsuspecting prey. The sound of more beer cans opening may be the only deterent you have, or possibly a game of footy or indeed any sport on the telly will keep his nimble brain occupied and result in him peacefully falling asleep.

Good luck for your holiday, have a great time and watch out for those distinctly Aussie predators..... LOL airlian

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe Seas??

Airlian you fogot to tell Kimpet about the dropbears...