We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caravan camping

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Caravan camping

We are looking for information on caravan camping options in the Darwin Mandorah area, including any free camping options that might be available within reasonable reach. We expect to be there around June July. 2014

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caravan camping

purchase a "camps" book and they give all options Australia wide on cheap camping spots and what facilities are available. http://www.campsaustraliawide.com

Lou darwin

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caravan camping

There aren't any free camping areas in Darwin itself - just the usual caravan parks. You can camp at Litchfield National Park and I believe that's still free. There isn't free camping at Mandorah unless you have a 4wd that you can go down some of the bush tracks to the beach. There is a lot of places you can camp in the surrounding area, but most are only accessible by 4wd. You can get to Gunn Point in a 2wd but I'm not sure how you'd go with a caravan.

Good luck

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caravan camping

Hi Barry

I, too, am planning a camping tour to Darwin and Kakkadu etc for June/July next year.

Two books that seem very useful for me are:

1. Explore Australia budget Camps and stops [ has photos of every site and comments about shade etc as well] and

2. Camps Australia Wide 4

Some of the sites mentioned are free.

I have found some of the places mentioned through my friend google so that's a big help in planning the travel days.

if you have any tips that will help me, please do share!

Regards

Archi

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Caravan camping

Hi Barry,

Could you please share the name of the camping option in the Darwin Mandorah area as you must have visited there now. Share your experience as well, as we are planning to have a caravan holiday trip there in next month.

Thanks

Danny

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
10,886 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caravan camping

"You can camp at Litchfield National Park and I believe that's still free." We were at Litchfield NP 3 years ago. It wasn't free. While there wasn't anybody there collecting money, you had to leave it in an envelope and put it in a box provided on site. I believe that a ranger checked who paid and who didn't.

6. Re: Caravan camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 25, 2015