We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1934 Qantas Hanger with collection of vintage cars/machines

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
1934 Qantas Hanger with collection of vintage cars/machines

I thought I would share my experience of this little Gem.The 1934 Qantas hanger is not far from Darwin city centre in Parap. There are a couple of brown tourist signposts to it when you get close.

I went because a friend of mine worked for Qantas and I went to get a couple of photos for him. The building was a simple metal structure with a sign above "Qantas Empire Airways Ltd".

It was what is inside the building that is amazing.

The Motor Vehicle Enthusiasts Club occupy the building and have filled it with an amazing collection of vintage cars, motor bikes, and machinery in general. There is even a Furphy water cart from which the saying, "that is a Furphy" came.

There is an excellent display explaining where and how Darwin's first airport operated.

If you look carefully you can find damage done by the air raids in World War Two.

It is the ultimate "man cave".

As well as the completed projects there is a fully working workshop and you can see men working on their latest machines.It is a little gem and well worth an hour so wandering about.

There is a web site www.mvec.org.au

The best part entry is free but donations are very welcome.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1934 Qantas Hanger with collection of vintage cars/machines

Hi rarefossil. I agree it is an interesting visit - although I have to admit that not being a car or machinery buff in any way I didn't find it interesting for as long as my hubby :)

Next time I will take my camera and spend my time getting creative shots of car grills and the like.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,865 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1934 Qantas Hanger with collection of vintage cars/machines

Sounds interesting, I love places like that.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1934 Qantas Hanger with collection of vintage cars/machines

Unfortunately for me it has always been closed when I've dropped by. Sounds like it is worth it to keep trying. Another try in a few weeks.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1934 Qantas Hanger with collection of vintage cars/machines

sounds like a Furphy to me

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1934 Qantas Hanger with collection of vintage cars/machines

yes we visited last week. unless you are into cars it is not that interesting but did get a few good photos.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1934 Qantas Hanger with collection of vintage cars/machines

I love the history of Qantas around the area and the original runways, really for free it sounds really good I really need to get there one day. Glad that you had a good day out :-))))))))))). Lou Darwin

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1934 Qantas Hanger with collection of vintage cars/machines

And if you are into Geocaching there is one in the hangar. Lou darwin

8. Re: 1934 Qantas Hanger with collection of vintage cars/machines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 15, 2014