We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darwin and Surrounds Itinerary Thoughts

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
58 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Darwin and Surrounds Itinerary Thoughts

Hi All,

We are looking to Fly into Darwin in the June/July Holidays 2014, hire a Motorhome and travel from here and see the surrounds. we would be looking to travel for about 2 weeks. We have 2 children aged 11 & 8. We love 4WDriving and camping, but thought seeing as though we don't have the time to drive up there with the camper, we thought this would be a great way to check things out. We understand we cannot take these motorhomes can't be taken offroad, but thought we could always do a tour.

Ideas for an intinerary would be great, as we have to go in the school holidays and I'm thinking we may have to book campgrounds in advance?

Cheers

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,561 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Darwin and Surrounds Itinerary Thoughts

We just arrived back home after an amazing 10 days in the Top End. I suggest you absolutely do it. It's the most stunning country I've ever experienced and I was totally blown away. I'll leave the itinerary advise to the Top End experts who know the area much better than I do but just a couple of points:

We rented a 4WD but apart from 3 locations - Twin Falls & Jim Jim Falls in Kakadu and The Lost City in Litchfield, we didn't need it. Sealed bitumen or well maintained gravel everywhere else.

From what everyone we spoke to said if you go in June/July the camping grounds are full so plan your itinerary and book well in advance. We were there at a very hot time of the year with temperatures hovering around 40 very day, but there were hardly any tourists around so it was well worth the extra water we carried. O feel as though you are the only person in a Katherine gorge s mind blowing.

Most rentals companies seem to put a 100km a day limit on their included mileage. That won't cut it if you want to. Include Katherine and Litchfield. Be prepared to pay extra. We did the Darwin-Kakadu-Katherine-Litchfield -Darwin circuit in 10 days, hardly drove the car for the first two in Darwin and still racked up about 300 over our allowance.

Enjoy!

Sydney
Level Contributor
58 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Darwin and Surrounds Itinerary Thoughts

Wow, thankyou so much for the heads up! We did contemplate going Sept/Oct hols, so maybe we should go then if we don't want to HAVE to book in advance. My only thought with booking in advance was that we are stuck to a definite itinerary instead of seeing this place for all it has to offer. We are so pumped to see it all.

Really appreciate your feedback.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Darwin and Surrounds Itinerary Thoughts

I would suggest if you have young children that the mid year is a better time to go even if you have to plan the trip.

Temps in the 40's are just awful for kids. It means you cant really do anything at all in the middle of the day except drive. It is too hot to walk and there is no respite in your tent from the heat until the sun goes down.

Sure the camp grounds get full, but thats no reason to camp. You can book at Cooinda and Jabiru, numerous places in Katherine and also a few in Litchfield. If you stay in Nat PARKS then you cant book and need to get there early.

At both Cooinda and Aurora Jabiru you have nice pools to cool down in, but its also a lot of back and forth to go for swims in the middle of the day if you are out touring.

Litchfield is different as there are a few places tow swim in, but still no where to get the respite from the heat in hottest part of the day.

The other aspect of going earlier is that there is more water in falls etc. Jim Jim start to dry up.

Katherine is a hot place in September. Temps in the gorge are around 39. There is a lack of breeze as well to cool you.

If you do that period of year, I would get cabins at places with pools.

4. Re: Darwin and Surrounds Itinerary Thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 30, 2014