We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short stay must do's

Which Darwin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Short stay must do's

We are looking at doing a 2 or 3 day stop-over in Darwin on the way home to Melbourne from Bali.

What are the must do attractions in a short visit? I know less about Darwin than I do about women, so any help will be appreciated.

Something to do with crocs would be good and also a bombing museum if there is one would interest my eldest son?

Also I see Jetstar flights from Bali arrive at 3am, is easy to get transport and check-in to accom at this time?

Thanks

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,394 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short stay must do's

Hi Greg

What time of year are you thinking?

A definate must do would be to hire a car and take a day trip to Litchfield National Park - famous for waterfalls and termite mounds and one of the few places you can safely swim in a natural location up here. If you don't want to hire a car there are also day tours.

Crocodile wise you could do a Jumping Crocodile Cruise on the Adelaide River - a bit under 1 hr drive from Darwin. In a push you could combine this with the Litchfield day trip, but I personally would do it on a different day as I think Litchfield is worth the time.

Another Crocodile option in Crocosaurus Cove in the middle of the CBD www.crocosauruscove.com

They have a pool where the kids can swim with baby crocs (seperated by a pane of glass) or you could do the Cage of Death. There is also Crocodylus Park but I'm not a fan.

Other things I love - a sunset cruise on Darwin harbour, fish feeding at Doctor's Gully aquascene.com.au , Darwin Museum, Parap markets on Sat morning. Kids might also like the wave pool at the Waterfront (and who knows you may find something of interest at the nearby microbrewery - making assumptions from your posts on the Bali forum!).

The new military museum The Defence of Darwin Experience at East Point is also meant to be good, high tech and interactive, but I haven't made it there yet - it does fulfill the request for a bombing museum www.defenceofdarwin.nt.gov.au

Darwin airport has lots of flights arriving and leaving in the wee hours so transport will not be a problem. There is the airport shuttle, taxis or hire cars (if pre-booked). Sometimes you may have to wait a bit for a taxi but that is just Darwin. Similarly hotels are used to guests arriving at this hour and if they don't have a 24 hour reception, which many do, will generally have some method of letting you in. Just make sure you let them know what time your flight gets in.

Hope this gives you something to work with.

Enjoy

Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short stay must do's

Thanks Shaz, that's great info.

We will be looking at end of January.

How far is Litchfield NP?

Which area should I search for a hotel, or where not to? Looking prob 3 star, nothing fancy, but no dump.

Cheers

Greg

New Zealand
Level Contributor
322 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short stay must do's

Hi we stayed in Darwin last year at the Paravista motel. The owners were friendly, rooms clean and comfortable and at an affordable price for Darwin, if you don't have a car there is a bus stop just a few minutes walk away. There are a few restaurants nearby also.. We visited the military museum out at east point and it was spectacular,the oil storage tunnels in the city are also very good. And as previously mentioned Litchfield is superb, we also went to Kakadu but preferred Litchfield.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,394 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short stay must do's

Jan is wet season so you should be able to get a good hotel deal.

As the previous poster noted the Paravista is not a bad option that is close, but not in town. A quick Wotif search shows it at $89 per night in early Jan.

There are decent CBD hotels going for $100 - $150 per night and I would recommend the CBD if it is in your price range.

Or the Vibe hotel at the Waterfront which is a great area within easy walking distance of the CBD listed at $159.

Happy to comment on your options once you narrow them down a bit.

Oh and Litchfield is about 1 - 1.5 hrs from Darwin. It looks great in the wet - my favourite spot for a swim is Florence Falls.

Edited: 5:48 am, September 11, 2013
Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short stay must do's

Thanks girls, I will try and find some flights..... it's cheaper to go Bali, Darwin, Melbourne than direct atm.

6. Re: Short stay must do's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 13, 2014