We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise port of call Darwin

Brisbane
4 posts
Save Topic
Cruise port of call Darwin

My husband and I are are including the port of Darwin on a cruise to the South Pacific. His mobility is not marvellous and I am wondering how far the port is from the centre of Darwin and is there a direct bus link?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise port of call Darwin

There are shuttle bus services from the Wharf to various points in the city for the whole time the ship is docked. The run pretty frequently every 10 - 15 mins as far as i can tell.

From there you can take the city buses, taxis, tour tub etc to anything you might want to see if you don't book a tour.

It's not real pretty around the port area at the moment, it's basically a large construction site.

Brisbane
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise port of call Darwin

Thanks seanoff - you've given me just the information I wanted

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise port of call Darwin

Depending on what time you arrive in Darwin, you might like to consider going to Aquascene to hand feed the wild fish. It was one of my favourite activities in Darwin:

www.aquascene.com.au/

brisbane
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise port of call Darwin

Hi Sophie,

Would also suggest catching a taxi to the art gallery not too far away. Good for taking a leisurely stroll around and if it is still there, there is a fab display regarding Cyclon Tracey and a humungous stuffed crocodile called "Sweetheart" of all things! The food at the Cafe is fantastic. Mobility should not be a problem.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise port of call Darwin

I'd second that. The food was good there.

I've just remembered that I wrote a short review of Aquascene with a photo, and also one of the Museum and Art Gallery with 2 photos.

Unfortunately, the link for the museum is too long to be allowed to be posted, but if you are interested type Museum Art Gallery of the Northern Territory into the search box.

The link for the Aquascene reviews and photos is:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255066-d258…

Queensland...
Level Contributor
309 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise port of call Darwin

Hey all, The cafe which is co-located with the Museum is named the Cornucopia.

It (and the museum) is highly recommended ..

there are ramps for ease of access of wheelchairs.

Usually when ships are in town there are pick up/set down points within the city to drop pax off from the ship - I'm sure that the crew will be able to assist with details if transport is being provided.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise port of call Darwin

Sophie,

I definately agree that the Museam gives you a good overall picture of Darwin and NT if you are on a short time frame. You may wish to ring Cornacopia when you get in to dock as the best tables 'the ones with the view' get booked out very very quickly. The tables inside are OK (as they at least are airconditioned) but IMO the best ones are outside.

If you are in on a Sunday you may wish to go up to the historic house at Myilly Hill where they do high tea in the grounds from 2pm. It is a lovely relaxing afternoon.

Louize

Darwin, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise port of call Darwin

I agree that the Museum and Cornacopia are great. Tour Tub might be another option worth checking out.

They have buses that take you to all the major attrations in Darwin, they have open air buses as well as air-con. Ph. (08) 8985 6322 for more info.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
309 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise port of call Darwin

Sophie,

what time of the year will you be here and is your hubby able to walk, with aid, without aid, w/chair .. there may be other options if I had a tiny bit more info ..

how long will you have in port?

10. Re: Cruise port of call Darwin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 17, 2009