We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darwin hotels July 2008! Panic! Help!

HCJ
Portsmouth
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Darwin hotels July 2008! Panic! Help!

Hi,

We are going to a wedding in Darwin in July 2008, yet we hear there is festival on, so are now panicking as we can't find any hotels!

We had originally planned to stay at the Saville, or somewhere nice like that but availability on their websites is none, same for Crowne Plaza etc etc etc.

We (2 adults) are there for 6 nights from 2nd July 2008.

Does anyone know of any other hotels that may have availability over there at that time, or of a website we could use that actually shows availability? Also any apartments to rent?

We are starting to panic over here in the UK now..........

Thanks for your help

Helen

Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Darwin hotels July 2008! Panic! Help!

I've found that sometimes when hotel websites have no availability, you can still get a room if you call them on the phone. In fact, I think this may have happened to me when I made reservations at the Saville. Worth a try!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
309 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Darwin hotels July 2008! Panic! Help!

Gidday HCJ - your panic is most likely due to the V8 supercar racing series that will be here 4-6 July.

You will need to widen the search and do it as soon as possible.

you will need to email various places and be prepared to pay max $ as it is the premium season here.

There are various apartments and short term rental places available as well ..

use a search engine such as google that will bring up most places, others to consider are wotif.com ratestogo.com lastminute.com

they will bring up the various establishments although most likely not for the dates that you're after. However it will give you the contact details for all of the places as well as should give you photos and also details of the property. The TA site should also give you the same info.

Happy to help with any specific questions you may have.

melbourne
Level Contributor
258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Darwin hotels July 2008! Panic! Help!

hi,

I was in a similar position in wanting to get accommodation in June 2007 for one night when the V8 car racing was in Darwin. I was trying to book the accommodation five months out and must have rung at least 10 different hotels and all of them said that I needed to book one week's accommodation. I finally found a hotel that said that they would take my booking, only to be rung back the next day saying the booking should not have been taken.

I ended up booking with a backpacker place to ensure that we had a bed for the night.

Good luck with it.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Darwin hotels July 2008! Panic! Help!

Helen,

Holiday Inn has some rooms available - try their website www.ichotelsgroup.com but like the other replies I would be booking very very soon, even the rates for HI are excessive over the weekend because of the V8's.

L

darwin
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Darwin hotels July 2008! Panic! Help!

Here is a list of most places in Darwin for you

Alalti Holiday apartments 1800 628 833 www.comfortinnasti.com.au

Airport hotel motel 08 8985 4555

Botanic gardens apatments 08 8946 0300 www.botanicgardens.com.au

Comfort inn asti 13 24 00

Poinciana inn 1800 355 114 www.poincianainn.com.au

Luma Luma holiday apartments 08 8981 1899 www.lumaluma.com.au

Marrakai Luxury all suites 1800 653 732 www.marrakai.com.au

Mediterranean all suite hotel 08 8981 7771 www.mediterraneanhotel.com.au

Novotal atrium 08 8941 0755

Peninsular apartment hotel 08 8981 1922 www.peninsularapartments.com

quality hotel frontier 1300 363 854

quest serviced apartments 1800 334 033

skycity 08 8943 8888

travelodge mirambeena resort 08 8946 0111

golf links motel 08 8981 1544 www.golflinksmotel.com

city gardens apartments 1800 891 138 www.citygardensapts.com.au

coconut grove holiday apartments 08 8985 0500

darwin airport resort 1800 600 975

parap village apartments 08 8943 0500 www.parapvillageapartments.com.au

HCJ
Portsmouth
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Darwin hotels July 2008! Panic! Help!

Thank you all so so much for your help, it's much appreciated!

It's great to have a place where people can help you.

All comments noted & watch this space...........

Melbourne
Level Contributor
151 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Darwin hotels July 2008! Panic! Help!

I work in travel. My advice would be to go through a wholesaler who packages the Northern Territory such as Territory Discoveries which is an off shoot of the Governemnt Tourism Department. These wholesalers are given an allotments of rooms. If you are flying Qantas try them as they too hold allotments.

Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Darwin hotels July 2008! Panic! Help!

It might be worth renting an apartment or house privately. This site has lots of options. …stays.com.au/areas/accommodation_darwin.html

July and August in Darwin is just the same as in Europe. Bursting at the seams! Southern Australia should be fine. It is two countries climatically and the best time to visit the top half is not the same as the bottom. I work in the industry and live in Darwin so I have seen it all. There are a few new hotels due for completion mid 08, but no guarantees.

9. Re: Darwin hotels July 2008! Panic! Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, September 12, 2009