We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert Garden or Sails in the Desert

Miami
Level Contributor
107 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Desert Garden or Sails in the Desert

Hi,

We have reservations for a room with Rock View at Desert Garden, but have read recently that the views are not that great because the bushes are obstructing them. For about the same amount of money we could get a room at the Sails in the Desert. I keep reading the reviews on both but cannot make up my mind which one to chose.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desert Garden or Sails in the Desert

There isn't a huge amount of difference, and Sails is only slightly more upmarket. How 'similar' in price are you talking? If it's near enough that you wouldn't give it much thought, I'd definitely choose Sails, regardless of views.

It's not a location where you spend enormous amounts of time sitting in your room.

Miami
Level Contributor
107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desert Garden or Sails in the Desert

The difference is minor because the room we reserved at Desert Garden was the Deluxe with Rock View, so it was more expensive than the regular room. Originally I was excited about the idea of being able to watch the Rock from our balcony, but if that is not the case, then for just about $30 more total we could stay at the Sails. Another option would be to downgrade the Desert Garden to the cheapest room they have.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,953 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desert Garden or Sails in the Desert

KVE, it really depends on when you are there how long you may siting the room….

some of the really hot days you will :)

Hpwever if you intend to take a break in the middle of the day the resort at sails i s nicer for hanging out

If keeping the same room type go with sails, otherwise I'd go down to the cheaper room at desert garden

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Desert Garden or Sails in the Desert

Sails has an excellent pool.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desert Garden or Sails in the Desert

SunnyInn , I had a similar situation when booking a room for myself I ended up paying a little extra and booked the Sails in the Desert. The reviews I read were more positive and on a hot day or even a rest for a few hours before the next tour, sails is the way to go!

Miami
Level Contributor
107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Desert Garden or Sails in the Desert

Did you get to go already?

Miami
Level Contributor
107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Desert Garden or Sails in the Desert

I went ahead and changed the reservation for the Sails. It definitively looks nicer. Thank you all for your recommendations.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Desert Garden or Sails in the Desert

I haven't gone yet SunnyInn, I'll be there in May. I have done my research for my trip to Uluru. I would suggest doing the Uluru Camel tour if you have a spare moment.

Miami
Level Contributor
107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Desert Garden or Sails in the Desert

That sounds exciting. I'll look into it. Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Desert Garden or Sails in the Desert

Hi

Did any of you have your stay at Uluru and would like to share? I have the same predicament! Rock View room at the Desert Garden (is it actually Ayers Rock in the rock view room? and are the bushes in the way) or stay at the Sails. Are the rooms and pool that much better at the Sails to warrant the extra dollars.

Any opinions welcome! Thx