We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stargazing with the moon out

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
32 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Stargazing with the moon out

Hi all-

I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, but my husband and I are planning a large trip to Australia and part of that includes 3 nights in Yulara / Uluru area. We're planning to splurge and stay at Longitude 131, and initially I was trying to plan it around the new moon cycle, but the dates I want are booked for that period (just my luck!).

My question for you is this - is the stargazing still good when the moon is out? I had made a crazy schedule that had us hopping out to Uluru and back and was rather inconvenient, but was willing to do it for the new moon sky. Now I'm thinking about just tacking it on to the end of our time in Cairns, as it is rather direct, but that means we'll have a (relatively full) moon in the sky. We're not by any means heavy stargazers - total amateurs, but we want to be able to just enjoy the beauty of the night sky and I'm wondering if we can still do that with the moon visible? Any advice you have on this topic would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stargazing with the moon out

Hi Kimberley - stars are always more visible when there is no moon. All the really bright stars are still visible with a full moon but you don't get the same experience. It also depends on how close the moon is to the earth. Sometimes we have full moons so bright you can see outside at night and there are shadows from the moonlight. No stars at all on those nights.

What time of year are you visiting and what other places are you visiting? I certainly wouldn't go to Uluru just for the star gazing. I have been there during a new moon and wasn't really that impressed. We live in the mountains and the stars on a clear, frosty night with no moon are far more spectacular than in the desert sky. Too much dust I think??

2. Re: Stargazing with the moon out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, March 18, 2014