We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from Ayres rock to Alice springs

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
getting from Ayres rock to Alice springs

any suggestions of getting from ayres rock to alice springs. I heard you could share a taxi but can I organise this before I go?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
1,379 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from Ayres rock to Alice springs

It takes about 4 1/2 hours to drive to Ayers Rock if you hire a car at Alice Springs. Alternatively the Alice Springs to Yulara Bus and the return Yulara to Alice Springs Shuttle Bus also operate. They depart Alice Springs at 7am from selected hotels: Alice Springs Resort, Rydges Plaza Hotel, Outback Inn Resort and Territory Inn.

http://www.auinfo.com/ayres-rock.htm

A taxi would be out of the question for 450kms.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from Ayres rock to Alice springs

I understand that the bus trip takes something like 6 or 7 hours to do the 450kms so it's (likely to be) quite tiresome! You might be better to rent a car and self drive...atleast then you're in a poisition to stop off and rest if need be/stretch the legs etc

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from Ayres rock to Alice springs

i just saw your other post terrie...when are you coming? Im driving that way myself next month...if I could be convinced you're not a crazy person perhaps could give you a lift! Its me and 2 others...not usually in the habit of picking up hitchers...but...?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from Ayres rock to Alice springs

The coach was fine. The time goes by quite quickly looking at the hypnotically interesting landscape. We stopped properly once at a petrol station where there were toilets and a shop.

If you are a YHA member, you get money off, so if you are planning to join the YHA once you are in Australia, it would probably be worth waiting to buy your ticket until you have joined (I didn't realise this when I was there, which was a shame):

www.greyhound.com.au/default.aspx

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from Ayres rock to Alice springs

Hi Yes I suppose it would have been helpful if I had said when I was thinking of doing this trip. Not until January - so will not be there next month, which is a shame because I am quite sane! Well apart from going to australia at the hotest time of the year (I keep being told!) Ha Ha. Thanks for all the tips though and have a great journey.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
495 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from Ayres rock to Alice springs

We went on an AAT Kings Tour from Alice Springs to Uluru and return. They did pick up some passengers in Yulara for the return trip by arrangement. The coach trip was good, easy to sit back and be driven.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
Level Contributor
796 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from Ayres rock to Alice springs

In January the buses are unlikely to be full. Your main options are AAT Kings, APT and Greyhound. All have their own websites and their fares are usually pretty similar to each other. They will all pick up from each hotel, somewhere between 12md and 2pm and get you into Alice between 5pm and 7pm where they then drop off at all hotels.

Your other option would be to approach the hire car companies and ask if they have anything for relocation to Alice. If they have, you would avoid the substantial one-way fee to hire a car for that same drive. If they haven't, then book the bus.

8. Re: getting from Ayres rock to Alice springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, September 07, 2009