We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping spot between Alice to Kings via "Red Centre Way"?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
camping spot between Alice to Kings via "Red Centre Way"?

Hi we are travelling to Kings canyon from Alice but want to travel Red Centre way . Would there be a camp spot on the way using this route lets say halfwayish? Maybe perhaps towards Macdonnell Range or Finke Gorge way ?? We are travelling by 2 person campervan in June .Any suggestions please?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping spot between Alice to Kings via "Red Centre Way"?

I would be checking with the tourist info centre - much of the land requires permits for entry and I'm not sure that you are allowed to camp.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,976 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camping spot between Alice to Kings via "Red Centre Way"?

Glen Helen has a good campground and it's about half way: http://www.glenhelen.com.au/

There are also several campgrounds at the gorges along the way, but the facilities can be a bit sparse. Details here: …nt.gov.au/parks/….UvbwC_spk1I

In case you were not aware, you cannot take a rental 2WD van down the Mereenie Loop from Geln Helen to Kings Canyon. A private vehicle will survive the drive if you take it slowly.

Luigi

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre
Level Contributor
601 posts
1,950 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camping spot between Alice to Kings via "Red Centre Way"?

Hi Sasanqua,

I agree with Luigi in regards to staying at Glen Helen. It's a good campground and motel.

Fuel is more expensive there, but top up anyway as it is well $2.35 or more per litre at the canyon.

Purchase your Mereenie Loop pass in Alice Springs for only a couple of dollars.

We have driven quite a few times between Alice and Kings Canyon in our 4wd which is no problem.

We have known people who have driven in 2wd and have taken 5-8 hours to get through and have

basically shaken their car apart and ruined the suspension at least. The roads are regularly graded but

delivery trucks deliver through the loop weekly and make the road very rough quickly, so my advice is to take a 4wd and do it safely. Watch for Wild horses, donkeys and occasionally camels which we have seen regularly.

4. Re: camping spot between Alice to Kings via "Red Centre Way"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 10, 2015