We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in 1 day for seniors?

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to see in 1 day for seniors?

We are a group of senior citizens who will be in Alice Springs (flying from Cairns and then leaving by bus for Ayers Rock) for one day in March.

Our customized tour included Telegraph Station, Royal Flying Doctors, School of the Air and Reptile Center. Since our flight time has changed and we are losing an hour, the tour operator wants to eliminate School of the air. I feel since some of us are retired teachers we would be most interested in the School of the Air. So he says we must eliminate something else. I was thinking we could skip the Reptile Center, but am interested in the opinion of people who know better than me.

Would appreciate any input.

Emu Run Experience - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Adventure Tours Australia
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Alice Wanderer Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Outback Elite Tours
Multi-day Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,521 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see in 1 day for seniors?

When we were in Alice Springs, we visited the Royal Flying Doctor Service and the School of the Air, so I think you'll be pleased with those two places. However, since we didn't go to the other two places you mention, you might want to read some of the reviews here on TA from those who have. (If you don't know how to find those reviews, just click on the "Things to Do" tab at the top of this page.) Both the Telegraph Station and the Reptile Center are highly rated, so it may just come down to what attraction interests you and your group more (For me, it would be reptiles, hands down!)

Edited: 1:15 pm, November 23, 2013
Alice Springs
Level Contributor
141 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see in 1 day for seniors?

Although the Reptile Centre is fantastic, unless you will be there for the presentation I would skip it. The presentations are on at 11am, 1pm and 3.30pm. The School of the Air would be very interesting for retired teachers and it is important to make sure you are there in school hours to observe it operating with the students.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,664 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see in 1 day for seniors?

You have already noted your interests so I would go to The School of Air as that's what you want to see.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see in 1 day for seniors?

I'm a retired teacher and loved our visit to the School of the Air in Alice Springs in October. And yes, be there during school hours. We watched a couple of teachers interacting with their students and were fortunate that the following day when we visited Ross River Station we happened to meet one of the students we'd seen on the screen at School of the Air! We also loved the Telegraph Station which doesn't take long to visit and is quite close to the School of the Air. We didn't visit the Reptile Centre but it does get excellent reviews. The Desert Park was amazing too, though you'd need a few hours there.

5. Re: What to see in 1 day for seniors?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 26, 2014