We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alice Springs to Uluru and back in 3.5days?

Which Alice Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Alice Springs to Uluru and back in 3.5days?

We were lucky enough to nab some $10 fares to ASP with Tiger in late October!

So, we land at 10.20 (Wednesday), plan to collect a car and drive directly to Uluru. (Have found some rates that inc. unlimited kms) I understand this is 450km and about 4 1/2 hours, plus break time. So we would arrive at our accommodation around 4 in the afternoon.

We would then go out to the rock and see sunset.

Not sure how to structure the following day (Thursday), but will have the full day in the area then stay a further night at the resort. (still tossing up what standard of accommodation we require)

The following morning (Friday) we would like to see sunrise at Uluru, maybe chill out, have a swim then would probably drive back to Alice Springs, arriving say early/mid afternoon. Have a quick look around Alice Springs that afternoon/evening.

Our flight leaves at 10.50 (Saturday) so we wont have alot of time to do much besides head to the airport.

We are a couple in our mid 30's and a 2 year old.

Does this sound feasible?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Alice Springs to Uluru and back in 3.5days?

There's also territory discoveries that offer unlimited km. You can compare the price

http://www.territorydiscoveries.com/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Alice Springs to Uluru and back in 3.5days?

Thanks Joyce T!

Orange, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Alice Springs to Uluru and back in 3.5days?

Thanks for the unlimited kilometer car hire options. We will check them out as we will need a 5 day car hire. Most of our time will be spent between Alice springs, Glen Helen and Yulara and may explore farther around so we don't want to have to worry about the kilometers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Alice Springs to Uluru and back in 3.5days?

I am now considering getting a 4wd and doing the loop via Kings Canyon.

Without any 4wd experience, is this a crazy idea, or is the unsealed road fairly easy to drive on?

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Alice Springs to Uluru and back in 3.5days?

I'm actually considering the same option also, could anyone give any comments regarding this?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Alice Springs to Uluru and back in 3.5days?

JeffyG, the Mereenie Loop from Kings Canyon up to the West MacDonnells is a wide gravel road which is unsuitable for regular vehicles as the gravel shot-blasts the underside of the car. You don't need to be a 4WD expert to drive on it. Just go a bit slow to avoid sliding all over the place. :)

If you head into Palm Valley, it's also OK without prior experience. Just stick to the formed tracks in the sand.

You need to get a permit to drive the Mereenie Loop. It's only a few $$. You can get one from the Alice Springs Tourist Info Centre, Glen Helen Lodge shop, or the service station/store at Kings Canyon.

Luigi

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Alice Springs to Uluru and back in 3.5days?

Thanks for that info Luigi A!

So if we were to include Kings Canyon, would this be too ambitious: ??

Day 1 - Land at ASP at 10.20, drive to Uluru. Sunset at the rock. O'night at Sails.

Day 2 - Sunrise at Uluru, Cultural centre, bit of walking at Uluru, drive to Kata Tjuta. Leave there about 2.30, drive to kings canyon. O'night at Kings Canyon

Day 3 - kings canyon walks, then leave about 2ish drive back to Alice Springs. Prob wouldn't do the rim as we have 2yr old

Day 4 - flight departs at 10.50

Alternatively, if we dont have time to fully experience the Mereenie Loop, maybe it just makes more sense to hire a standard car (cheaper too) and drive Kings Canyon back to Alice via Stuart Hwy... only 1 hr extra and i imagine an easier drive?

We have about 5-6 hours driving each day!!! Am I crazy?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Alice Springs to Uluru and back in 3.5days?

I think the Mereenie Loop is worthwhile, not just because it's shorter but because it takes you via Tnorala (Gosse Bluff meteor crater) and the gorges ogf the West Macs.

I'd plan to do Kathleen Springs at King's Canyon on arrival on Day 2. It's an easy flat walk - mostly on boardwalk.

On the next day, if you don't wish to do the entire rim walk, just go into the gorge itself as far as you wish. I'd leave earlier than 2pm in order to go to Tnorala and do at least one of the West Mac gorges. You don't have time to go to Palm Valley, so don't go via Larapinta Drive; use the more northerly Namatjira Drive that runs along the edge of the West Macs.

This website is useful: …nt.gov.au/parks/….UYBMqUqyKM0

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Alice Springs to Uluru and back in 3.5days?

Thanks! Informative as always.

Ill have a bit more of a look and may come back with a revamped itinerary.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Alice Springs to Uluru and back in 3.5days?

I'll be doing the exact same drive at the end of September. Just trying to price a 4wd camper for 5 people. It looks like Britz is the best choice but also trying to find a local Alice company. Was not worried about hotel accom and would even consider swags (last done 13 years ago !). Anyone got any local ideas?