We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour or Self-Drive

Which Alice Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cebu
Level Contributor
605 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Tour or Self-Drive

Hi. Is it cheaper to self-drive than to take a 3-day tour covering McDonnell, Kings Canyon & Uluru? Saw a tour costing $750 per person by Emurun staying in motels & I find it really expensive. Will it be cheaper by doing it yourself? Am also concern with the safety issues with regards to exploring the terrain with only the 2 of us. Also is the flight out of Ayers Rock that expensive or should we go back to Alice Springs for our flight to Cairns? Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tour or Self-Drive

go with a tour company ( I know it's too late now but for anyone else who has the same question...)

I went with The Rock tours and would certainly recommend it!.depends what you want to do but - camping in the outback is awesome and an unique experience. You will be safe cause you are in a group (we had also couples in ours) and you're with a guide.. plus it's much more fun!

I paid around $360 for a 3 day camping tour covering Kings Canyon, Kata Tjutja and Uluru... and it's better to have a guide who tells you all about it.. it makes a bigger impression I think!

I loved it :)

I am not sure about the flights but met a couple who stayed near Ayers Rock airport and regreted it because there is not much to do there if you stay longer.. and Alice Springs is worth seeing. Also most tours start from there.

12. Re: Tour or Self-Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, November 23, 2012