We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

darwin to alice springs and then onto melbourne??

England
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
darwin to alice springs and then onto melbourne??

Please please help me!

Im going to be flying into darwin on the 25th of september (at 3am) and am hoping to crash at the airport until morning, will that be ok??

then i am going to be looking for campsites around Darwin, that i can reach on public transport,, any body know any good options, that are on a backpacker budget?

i shall then be gettin the Ghan to Alice springs on the 2nd of october,

when in alice Springs do you need anything special to go to Ayres rock etc, and again are there any good campsites? Also is there any tips you can give me on things to do whilst is Alice and the near surrounding area, and how would i reach them etc?

Thank you... from a nervous backpacker :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,446 posts
1,572 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: darwin to alice springs and then onto melbourne??

Hi,

There are 2 airport hotels at Darwin Airport. Located within 350 metres of the Darwin International Airport Terminal, Darwin Airport Resort.

www.darwinairportresort.com.au

"The Darwin Airport Inn is a contemporary hotel located only 300 metres from the airport terminal. " - www.darwinairportinn.com.au

Darwin International Airport is operational 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

For Backpackers you would be best to join up http://www.yha.com.au/ they are excellent hostels for budget travellers.

yha.com.au/hostels/…

www.yha.com.au/hostels/nt/central-australia/

For additional information on Darwin.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18612-Darwin_T…

For info on Uluru -

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

Hostel in Uluru - Outback Pioneer Hotel. www.AyersRockResort.com.au

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: darwin to alice springs and then onto melbourne??

You can sleep at Darwin Airport but it is small so you will be woken by the early morning flights to the mines.

The only camping area near public transport are the Malak and KOA caravan parks, they are next to each other and are owned by the Lee Point Village Resort. The prices for all three places are the same and you can rent grassed areas powered or unpowered or cabins. There is no public transport to Lee Point.. The only public bus is #5 and it goes from Casuarina to Darwin via Berrimah. To catch it you would have to walk about 1km down the main road to the airport on Henry Wrigley Drive. Cross McMillans Road at the traffic lights and work a short distance up Rothdale road untill you see the bus stop. Buses leave Casuarina Bus Exchange at 6.30, 7.05, 8.00, and 8.50 which is only a few minutes by bus away. Get off at the caravan parks...ask the driver to let you know when you are there. suggest you skip the 8.00 bus as that does the school run so it could be crowded.

Other options are the YMCA in the CBD in Mitchel Street, there are a few backpackers places around here. You could catch the above bus as it finishes in the CBD and get yourself a copy of the timetable for #5 and #10 which is the main bus to Casuarina.

Or if you are going to stay in town then there is the Airport Shuttle Service $25, buy tickets at the door when leaving the airport, they leave after each flight.

There is another caravan park on the Stuart Highway mid way between Darwin and Palmerston, it is on a more frequent bus service but you would still need to catch bus 5 to the city then catch a Palmerston bus.

To catch the Ghan you will only get their by taxi, no buses serve the railway station.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,408 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: darwin to alice springs and then onto melbourne??

Alice Springs is well worth at least a couple of days. www.australiaeguide.com.au/alice_springs.php

There's a good little hop-on, hop-off bus that takes in most of the attractions. Costs about $40 for 2 days.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: darwin to alice springs and then onto melbourne??

I do hope for you and all other passengers and staff on the aircraft that you do NOT crash at Darwin airport -

There is a YHA ww.yha.com.au in Darwin - don't know the bus details but imagine it will be the same as LsBob has written. If you have an International Youth Hostel membership Australian equivalent gives a discount - or you can join here .

There are caravan/camping grounds at Alice Springs and at Uluru. The most special thing you will need to go to Uluru from Alice Springs will be transport. Most caravan/camping sites have cabins if you do not have your own tent. There is some sort of general store/cafe at Yulara - Uluru. What sort of "anything special" do you think you will need? hat, sunscreen, personal insect repellant, water bottle, warm clothing for the night, walking shoes, art of listening.

Do you have your own tent? Do you have a sleeping bag?

Do have a look here on TA for the 'Things to Do' in Alice Springs and 'Things to Do at Uluru.

Read the trip reports for that area.

Edited: 7:41 am, September 20, 2010
5. Re: darwin to alice springs and then onto melbourne??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 20, 2011