We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-Drive from Darwin to Alice Springs

Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Self-Drive from Darwin to Alice Springs

Hi,

I am from Singapore. I would like to do a self-drive from Darwin to Alice Springs.

Can anyone advise how much driving time I should do per day to make the journey in 3-3.5 day?

Is the journey straight forward with routes easily read from map or are there treacherous turns I should watch out for without getting lost?

Your kind advise would be very much appreciated.

Darwin
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Self-Drive from Darwin to Alice Springs

Just incase you haven't gone yet.....

Take your time. Dont drive too fast if you are not used to it. Too many people die!

Stop every couple of hours for a walk or a smoke. Take a photo or just get outr and run around the car a couple of times. Too easy to fall asleep on those straight roads.

Wauchope (pronounced Walkup)is a good stop for lunch. Careful of the cockatoo as he will swear at you. He listens to the truck drivers when they are talking on the phone.

1 day to tennant creek (Wycliffe Well - UFO capital of Australlia, Wauchope, Devils Marbles)

1 day to Daly Waters (Pub, drink, sleep)

Short drive to Katherine and tour the gorge

Stay Katherine

1 day to Darwin (short day)

Touring around Darwin etc

Just a few ideas to break up the journey.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Self-Drive from Darwin to Alice Springs

Hi kwh71

Great to have a Darwin expert on the forum. I have travelled a lot in the NT but not for a few years now and I think sometimes people were getting very poor answers to their NT questions so I am glad to see someone with current local knowledge.

Darwin
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Self-Drive from Darwin to Alice Springs

Hi Nozzie,

I have been working in NT tourism for 15 years and have a great love for the destination. I work for the NTGov and have no affiliations with any tourism operators. My brother is president of the Tour Guides Association and also trains guides through the NT University.

It's a great place and I am proud to promote it. I hope that my advice provides people with some good information to plan their holiday more effectively.