We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alice Springs -Glen Helen -Kings Canyon

Harrisonburg...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Alice Springs -Glen Helen -Kings Canyon

We will be arriving in Alice Springs on March 24th in the afternoon. We will be driving via the "loop" with a 4wd to Ayers Rock .

My original plans were two nights in Alice Springs, two nights at Kings Canyon and two nights at Ayers Rock, but I am thinking about changing this and doing only one night in Alice Springs or Kings Canyon and add it to Glen Helen Resort.

We like to stop a lot and take photos and just wondering around, so we have to allow time for this.

Any advise you can give would be helpful. Thanks for your help!

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alice Springs -Glen Helen -Kings Canyon

Hi there

If you are going to drop a night I would ony stay one night at Kings Canyon and keep 2 in Alice Springs. Essentially there is nothing more to see at Kings Canyon apart from the canyon (obviously!) and you only need a day (morning) to do this, and perhaps the evening before. I wouldnt miss it though - its one of my most favourite walks - ever. Most people walk/climb the canyon first thing in the morning when its not too hot (takes about 3 hours). If you arrive the day before (assuming staying at Kings Canyon resort) then you can take a helicopter trip over the canyon (excellent) and watch the sunset etc from the resort.

Alice Springs has lots more to see - there is the flying doctors museum (interesting), school of the air, lots of excellent aboriginal art galleries, the telegraph station just outside of town (worth visiting), plus you can also take a hot air balloon trip from here over the outback at dawn (excellent!). There are also a good choice of places to eat and so you would be easily be able to fill a couple of days and get a good feel for the town.

Hope that helps with your planning!

Lucy

melbourne
Level Contributor
256 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alice Springs -Glen Helen -Kings Canyon

Hi. I did a similar itinery last June and was happy with the trip.

Glen Helen Resort fits in well after you leave Alice Springs and during the day, stop to visit the

various places in the West Macdonnell ranges.

We camped at Glen Helen Resort. If you plan to have dinner in the restuarant there, it is worth booking when you arrive there to make sure that you can get dinner at a time you want it. If you are camping, you are allowed to have a wood fire, but you need to collect your own firewood (not inside the national park).

For the road between Glen Helen Resort and Kings Canyon, you will need to purchase a permit from Glen Helen Resort on the day you leave (cost is only a few dollars). The road (last June) was very rough for the first 30 kms and the last 30 kms. (As it is a dirt road, it is likely to be different when you travel.) Near Gosse's Bluff there is some bitumen road for a while (which is nice after the bumpy roads).

The view from a hill lookout over Gosse's Bluff (roughly an hour from Glen Helen) where a meteor struck the Earth makes a good photo. We went in on the 4WD track into Gosse's Bluff and while it was OK, you are restricted to a small area where you are allowed to walk.

It took us from about 9.30am till about 3.30pm to do the drive to Kings Canyon Resort.

I agree with the other poster regarding only needing 1 night at Kings Canyon with a morning walk which is a must do.

I hope this helps and you enjoy your trip.

Harrisonburg...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alice Springs -Glen Helen -Kings Canyon

Thanks for your help!! You answered my questions!

How much time should I allow for the trip to Ayers Rock from Kings Canyon--Want to get there for sunset viewing.

Thanks again!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alice Springs -Glen Helen -Kings Canyon

It's a little over 300kms to Ayers Rock from Kings Canyon on a sealed road. I have allowed 4 hours. We will also be there in March.

5. Re: Alice Springs -Glen Helen -Kings Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 17, 2009