We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distances please

England
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Distances please

We shall be staying at the Novotel Outback for a couple of nights towards the end of October. Can anybody tell me how far this hotel is from the centre of Alice Springs. Also, we would like to walk up Anzac Hill, again how far is this from our hotel? Is the Desert Park worth a visit?

Thanks in advance

PS Any good but not too expensive places to eat?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Distances please

you will find a map (to scale) at

…nt.gov.au/about_alice/town_map.asp

I cant tell you the exact distance other than to say that your hotel is somewhat out of the centre of the city...i would suggest it is in the vicinity of a 2-3kilometre walk to the GPO/city centre. Perhaps same to Anzac (or a little less).

I am staying in Alice in Sept and am going to the Desert Park. You will see the reviews on TA are very favourable and I think its a bit of a hidden gem to some extent. I just learned however that The Ghan train arranges day trips to the Park when the train is in town and it happens to coincide with my visit so I am expecting a crowd. Oh well!

Perhaps you will be more fortunate?!!

Re: restaurants. Check out www.yourrestaurants.com.au and search for Alice Springs. My niece who lives there says that Oscars is pretty good. I think you shouldnt expect too much and I think you should expect prices to be a little more than maybe you're used to...they freight everything in so costs are considerably higher than elsewhere.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
Level Contributor
806 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distances please

Hi,

The Novotel is at the southern end of town, away from the town centre, approx 3km. The walk into town along the river is flat but in October it can be pretty warm (30 plus) so you will probably want a car. I don't think they have a shuttle bus. Anzac Hill is at the northern end of the town centre, so about 4km from your hotel.

The Desert Park is fantastic, allow at least 4 hours - suggest you get there early in the morning, they open at 7. The guides give presentations throughout the day and the birds of prey display is at 10am.

Also well worth a visit is the Reptile Centre for hands on with heaps of our local reptiles.

Restaurants - if you join the Accor Advantage Plusyou will eat for half price at the Novotel and Oasis motels. Both have good restaurants and the half price discounts means good food for good prices.

For morning tea/lunch it's hard to beat the Royal Flying Doctors cafe. There's also a great cafe at Olive Pink Botannical Gardens and also at Blooming Deserts Nursery in Hele Cres. in the industrial area. The Thai Room and Flavours of India are both good restaurants for their respective cultural meals. Oscars is good and popular with locals. The Todd Tavern has daily specials - eg roast on Sunday for $12.50. schnitzel on Thursday for $13.50 (I think).

Check out www.multimap.com for a map of Alice.

Happy travels.

England
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Distances please

Thanks to both Adelaide74 and I'madesertgirl.

Some good tips, especially the Accor Advantage Plus. I'll definitely look into that.

Our travel agent recommended the Novotel, I guess we should have done our own research first.

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Distances please

When we were in Alice Springs 18 months ago, we stayed at the Crowne Plaza which is also some distance out of town, but like the Novotel it had fantastic views of the MacDonnell Ranges, which I am sure you would not get from the more centrally located hotels.

Get up early and watch the MacDonnell Ranges come to life. The colours are superb!!!

England
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Distances please

How did you get into the town? Would a taxi be expensive?

Will def get up early and view the mountains, sounds awesome.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Distances please

Yes, caught a taxi in - about $8.

England
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Distances please

Cheers. Could you tell me where the Desert Park is in relation to the Novotel Outback?

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
Level Contributor
806 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Distances please

Hi

The Desert Park is about a 10 min drive to the west of town. The Novotel is a 5 minute drive to the south of town. There is a shuttle service that will pick you up from the hotel and drop you back either to the hotel or in town.

Check this link for a map. Set it on the 2km scale. You will see Stephens Road at the bottom right - that's where the Novotel is. The Desert Park is on Larapinta Dr at the far left of the map. Zoom in to the 1km scale and follow Larapinta Dr to the west. You will see Albrecht Dr marked. The entrance to the Desert Park is just past that, on the left (south) heading out of town.

Anzac Hill, which you also asked about is between Wills Tce & Schwarz Cr just to the north of the Town Centre.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=-23.6994,133.8807|14|4&loc=AU:-23.6994:133.8807:14|Alice%20Springs|ALICE%20SPRINGS%20NT

Hope this helps.

England
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Distances please

Thanks, that information will be very useful. I'm glad to see that there is a shuttle bus that will take us from our hotel to the Desert Park.

Much appreciate your comments.

10. Re: Distances please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, September 03, 2009