We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel for best location

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yateley, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel for best location

We are coming to Sydney for a 5 night stay at the start of our honeymoon in September 2007.

I have been to Sydney before in 1999 and I am looking for the best hotel with a location that central for shopping, circular quay, train station and general looking around...

My options are...

Park Hyatt

Shangri-La Hotel

Quay West Suites

Old Sydney Holiday Inn

Can anyone offer some advice? We wont be spending much time in the rooms but at the same time as its our honeymoon we do want the room to have nice view and mod cons.

Thanks!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel for best location

For location, the best hotel in Sydney is the Russell. You step outside the front door and the ferry wharves are just a minute's walk away, the Opera House is across the bay, and the Harbour Bridge is just over to your left. No views from your window, however, as it's only two or three storeys tall (it opened in 1870 and still looks like it was back then). I always say, about this hotel, that you're not looking at the views, because the people who ARE looking at the views are lookinb at you.

Second best location is just down the road from the Russell: the Old Sydney Holiday Inn. I hear it has great views from the rooftop, but as it's only about six storeys tall, there's not much from the hotel windows. It's right in there among the shops and alleys of the old Rocks area, however.

A final hotel in the heart of the Rocks, just along from the Old Sydney Holiday Inn, is the Mercantile. However, it's mainly a pub, so it's certainly not a suitable choice for anyone considering the Shangri-La.

Now for views. The best views in Sydney are from the harbour view rooms of the Park Hyatt. You are looking straight down the harbour, past Fort Denison, and there is nothing but a small stretch of water between you and the Opera House. You are practically UNDER the approaches to the Harbour Bridge. This is a low-rise hotel (three storeys, I think), so you are on the same level as the views... not looking down as if from a plane.

If panoramic views from a great height are your thing, I would suggest that either Quay West or Shangri-La would be virtually neck-and-neck. The Quay West has a nicer entrance, however... Shangri-La is opposite the Harbour Bridge tollgates, and there's a lot of concrete and wire. Both hotels are HIGH... and they are also at the top of a small hill, so there's a bit of climbing to do when you return at night. If you stay at either of these hotels, tell them that it is against your religion to have a window facing the west or the south.

Other great views are the Four Seasons in George St, and (I hear) the Intercontinental. The Harbourside Marriott has some rooms with great views, but others are obstructed by tall buildings between it and the harbour. If you want to look at the Harbour Bridge and not the Opera House, you could stay on the other side of the bay -- directly opposite the Russell, past the wharves -- at Quay Grand. A couple of minutes' walk back from this hotel is the Sir Stamford, which is a lovely location, and a nice old building ( at least, part of it is; the bar is an old government sandstone office dating from the nineteenth century). Most of the views from this hotel, however, are of the Botanical Gardens (as, indeed, are the cheaper rooms at Quay Grand). The Sir Stamford is as close to the ferry wharves as is the Russell.... this is a real plus, as -- as every Sydneysider knows -- the best way to see our city is to hop four or five of the lovely commuter ferries and just go wherever they take you (a day pass costs around $AUD15.50 and entitles you to all trains and buses as well)

Have fun choosing!

Yateley, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel for best location

Wow thanks for all the info!!

At the moment I seem to be torn between...

Low budget - Old Sydney Holiday Inn

Mid Budget - Shagri-La

Blow the budget - Park Hyatt

I have to go with the hotels I listed (plus an addition 3 or 4) as I am booking everything via the same company for vast discounts and a wedding list with them.

I appreciate ur reply and info! Thanks

Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel for best location

Something different may be "The Russell" hotel in The Rocks. I stayed here for my Honeymoon and it was fantastic! It's close to everything you've mentioned and as a 'boutique hotel' it offers something different to the 'standard' hotel room you'd find everywhere in the world.

One word of advice though - avoid staying on the second floor as it above a bar (reportedly one of the oldest in Australia...)

See www.therussell.com.au

Good luck

London, England
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel for best location

I stayed at the Shangri-La when i was in Sydney in Oct, it's a beautiful hotel, with everything you could want, definately a great place to spend your honeymoon. I'd recommend it to anyone, as long as you don't mind a hike up a very steep hill to get back to your hotel! I swear my leg muscles have never had so much of a workout! *lol* But if you don't mind that, then i'd definately go for the Shangri-La.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel for best location

Belinda,

The Sebel Pier 1 might also be worth considering. Similar to the Hyatt it is virtually on the water under the bridge. Not quite the same service standard, room service etc as the Hyatt (few are!), but much more affordable (check the price of a suite) and still very very nice.

The Sebel and Hyatt will give you a 'water level view'. The Old Sydney a mid level view, The Shangri La & QW will give you a view from up high.

Don't be too put off by the Shangri La & qw being on a 'hill' [1] it helps the view. [2] It's maybe 200 yards - not Mt Everest!

I think the closest train station would be Wynyard. QW & SL would be about 5 minutes walk away. The Old Sydney might be 5 minutes more and The Sebel and Park Hyatt probably another 10 to 15 minutes walk.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel for best location

Belinda,

The Sebel Pier 1 might also be worth considering. Similar to the Hyatt it is virtually on the water under the bridge. Not quite the same service standard, room service etc as the Hyatt (few are!), but much more affordable (check the price of a suite) and still very very nice.

The Sebel and Hyatt will give you a 'water level view'. The Old Sydney a mid level view, The Shangri La & QW will give you a view from up high.

Don't be too put off by the Shangri La & qw being on a 'hill' [1] it helps the view. [2] It's maybe 200 yards - not Mt Everest!

I think the closest train station would be Wynyard. QW & SL would be about 5 minutes walk away. The Old Sydney might be 5 minutes more and The Sebel and Park Hyatt probably another 10 to 15 minutes walk.

7. Re: Which hotel for best location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 22, 2009