We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ayers Rock trip

Europe
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Topic
Ayers Rock trip

Got no response on the Australian forum so I thought I would give sydney a go

I am planning on taking a 3 night trip to Ayers Rock in Feb. The plan is to saty at the Emu Walk apartments in Ayers Rock Resort

I am not sure if we should book tours or rent a car. Can someone please tell me roughly how far are the major sites such as Ayers Rock and the Olgas are from the resort.

Also what are people opinions of renting a car verses Tours. I know the car rental works out much cheaper than the tours as there will be 4 of us, but is it better to have a local expert on hand, that you would get with the tours

would love to hear some feed back

Thanks

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ayers Rock trip

IMHO I would think that having an experienced guide to give you the history along with perhaps some local aboriginal stories would be the way to go, however, all around Ayers Rock/Uluru is accessible by car. You can get information from the Tourist Centre near the Emu Walk Apartaments regarding the places you intend to drive to. You can also talk to any of the local people for information. Usually when you hire cars, unless they are proper off road vehicles, you will have to stay on sealed roads. If you planned to go into the aboriginal community near Ayres Rock, you would need a permit.

Hope this helps.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,432 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ayers Rock trip

There is the option of doing both...

you can do some of the rock via the car and some by using a tour. I would suggest one of the Anjanu(sp) tours. proabbaly for a base walk.

sunrise and sunset i would do by myself as I would valley of the Winds.

You would still bein front financially and the car will give you the option of bailing out if the weather is too hot.

by car the rock is about 10-15mins and the olgas about 45 mins depending on how many picture stops you make enroute.

Europe
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ayers Rock trip

Thanks for the feedback - I hadn't thought of doing both, a base tour sounds good as I would really love to hear about the rock and its significance and I would also love to be shown rock paintings

Thanks again

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ayers Rock trip

Hi,

I also can recommend the Anangu tours. You can book onto these when you arrive at the resort, or in advance. I did a tour which involved watching the sunrise (with all the other tours), then having breakfast at the cultural centre, then taking an easy walk and learning about aboriginal tools and weapons. Our guides were helpful, and it was a worthwhile experience. There was also a tour in the afternoon I would have liked to have done which looked at rock art.

Manchester,England
Level Contributor
91 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ayers Rock trip

We hired cars all over Oz but would definately recommend taking the organised tours at the Rock. They are just so informative and not like normal regimented excursions. Car hire is easy and the sites are close together with only one road basically but the tours take you all the places and give you plenty of time with info about wildlife, culture etc - not contrived. Also most sunset tours finish off with wine and nibbles at the viewpoint - a nice way to finish off the day.

6. Re: Ayers Rock trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, August 19, 2009