We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Solo travel in Sydney on a budget suggestions

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time Solo travel in Sydney on a budget suggestions

Hi,

I will be travelling to sydney(my first time) for 9 days in august . Will $100 aud a day be sufficient and i will be staying @the YHA central and harbour(accomodations all has been paid ahead of time),also am interested in getting thses combo tickets cause its priced reasonably experienceoz.com.au/sydney-attraction-combo-…

Below is the itinerary i planned in advance is it "doable"

Sydney-Itinerary 13aug-21aug

Day 1-Darling Harbour,Sydney Life Aquarium,Wild Life Zoo Sydney

Day 2-Do The Manly Walk,Manly Sea Aquarium

Day 3-Parramata,Paddy’s Market, Auburn Gallipoli Mosque Friday Prayers

Day 4-Sydney Olympic Park,Anz Stadium,Bledisloe Cup

Day 5-Haymarket,Chinatown,Relax At Cbd

Day 6-Blue Mountains

Day 7-Sydney Harbour,Luna Park

Day 8-The Rocks ,Rnr

Day-9-Rnr,Last Min Shopping

Thanks in advance

Edited: 10:17 pm, July 12, 2014
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,553 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Solo travel in Sydney on a budget suggestions

Your itinerary has a lot of time devoted to shopping. On a budget of $100 a day (even excluding accommodation), once you have paid for entry into the places and events you want to see, food,drinks, snacks and transport, there won't be much of your $100 left over for shopping.

Day 5 is almost entirely shopping - perhaps do something like the Bondi to Coogee walk on that day?

I'm not sure what your plan is for Day 7 - what do you mean by 'Sydney Harbour'? If you want to spend the day on ferries on the harbour then it would be a good idea to buy a MyMulti pass($23) for that day.

If you are planning on going to the Sydney Aquarium on the first day, do you really need to pay to visit the Manly Aquarium? While you are at Manly, if you have the energy after your walk, there's a continuation of the Spit-Manly walk that goes around to Shelly Beach, up to the top of the cliffs and around to North Head - spectacular views of Sydney and another spot with good cafe. If you feel a bit worn out by the time you get to Manly, there is a bus (# 135) that goes from Manly Wharf to North Head ever half hour or so.

Day 4 I understand that you want to go to the Bledesloe Cup in the afternoon but what are you going to do at Olympic Park all day? There's not much there when there's no event on. The nearby Bicentennial Park, however, is a lovely place to spend time with some really nice wetlands walks and a passable cafe where you can have lunch. The walk around the lake is also quite nice.

I'm not sure what you enjoy doing, but Luna Park during the day is a bit ho-hum, often almost deserted (except during school holidays) and rather dated. Still, it costs nothing to go in and have a look and see what you think.

Day 3 is a bit all over the place. Why Parramatta? It's not near Auburn. When are you going to Paddy's Markets (which are in the city in Chinatown)?

With a bit of refinement, it's possible to have an enjoyable holiday in Sydney without having to spend a fortune, but $100 a day is going to make it very tight and it's no fun to be on holidays and have to constantly be thinking about how much you have spent. Try and up the budget a bit so you can relax and enjoy your holiday.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Solo travel in Sydney on a budget suggestions

Thanks for the suggestion.

i definitely am looking at an alternative to the manly aquarium and the walk as suggested is really up my alley.

for the 3rd day..i must have confuse myself....what i meant to do is go to the auburn gallipoli mosque by 1130am for prayers and than down to paddy's market(1pm)

For the 4th day will only be hanging out around the yha /cbd before heading out to the stadium in the afternoon.by the looks of it i may just go straight to Bicentennial Park first than to the stadium to soak in the atmosphere before the game.

For the 5th day it is technically a souvenir hunt which has a diff budget and im more of a window shopper aka look around.

for the 7th day,just unwinding at the harbour and visiting the various gardens around or within proximity

and budget wise....looks like i may have to increase it slighty maybe to about 150-200aud a day

bare in mind i also will be purchasing the mymulti 2 or 3 1 week pass on arrival so technically transport has been considered and most of the shopping/food and attractions that has entrance fees has been covered so i believed 1/2 of my budget has been covered on the first 4-5 days

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Solo travel in Sydney on a budget suggestions

I think you will find Sydney's public transport system a disappointment compared to what you have in Singapore - eg less frequent services so perhaps factor that into your schedule. I think you will struggle to get all your day 3 plan in unless you're planning a long day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Solo travel in Sydney on a budget suggestions

For the 5th day it is technically a souvenir hunt which has a diff budget and im more of a window shopper aka look around.

not sure what type of souvenirs you're looking for but there are plenty to window shop at Paddy's Market (which is only open from Wed-Sun).

you might also consider visiting Market City which is above Paddy's Market (open all week)...some factory outlet stores there.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Solo travel in Sydney on a budget suggestions

thanks for the info guys.....i think i may have just confuse myself again as i thought the Paddy's Market (tripadvisor.com.sg/Attraction_Review-g255060…)was the same one as the Sydney's Paddys Market located in Parramata(https:/…)looks like i may have to scrap day 3 and replaced it with the bondi walk and than to potts point where i will be meeting a friend of mine.

As for transportation wise,i'm in no hurry and my main agenda is just to chill and relax

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time Solo travel in Sydney on a budget suggestions

the Paddy's Market in Flemington is open Fri-Sun and tends to be a big wholesale produce market.

not many souvenir shops there and also need a train trip to get there from the city.

https:/…

7. Re: First time Solo travel in Sydney on a budget suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:07 am, August 07, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First time Solo travel in Sydney on a budget suggestions

Hi so i've played around with my itnerary and here is the final result.

Planning to travel using only the My multi 3 1 week pass and use the public transport as much as possibly can.

Any other recommendations you guys can recommend as i'm there mostly to relax and enjoy the scenery

and my main agenda is the BLedisloe Cup

Day 1 Wed-Arrive Sydney 10am,Check-In @ Central YHA /Rest/Lunch, Sydney Wild Life Aquarium, Late Evening Darling Harbour

Day 2 Thu-Am-Taronga Zoo,Pm-Queen Victoria Building And Hyde Park, Late Evening Potts Point /Kings Cross

Day 3-Fri-Am-Manly Walk And Manly Sea Aquarium , Pm-Bledisloe Cup Carnival

Day 4-Sat-Am-Paddington Markets, Pm-Bicenttenial Park And ANZ Stadium For The Blesdisloe Cup

Day 5-Sun-Am-Check-Out Central YHA /Check-In @Railway YHA or Base Backpackers, Bondi Market/ Bondi To Coogee Walk,Paddy’s Market / Haymarket Chinatown(Souvenir Hunt)

Day 6-Mon-Blue Mountains(Whole Day)

Day 7 –Tue-Am-Check-Out Railway YHA Or Base Backpackers / Check-In @ Harbour YHA, Luna Park,Pm-Harbour Bridge Walk(Free) And The Sydney Opera House,Late Evening Circular Quay

Day 8-Wed-Am- Sydney Fish Market , Botanic Gardens, Evening The Rocks

Day 9 Thurs-Am-Check-Out Harbour YHA,Last Min Shopping At Chinatown, 5pm Off To Airport

Edited: 8:53 am, August 04, 2014
sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time Solo travel in Sydney on a budget suggestions

Sounds really good. BTW, I live in Sydney and I am travelling overseas next year. We have a daily budget of $100 A too and plan to make that work. So if you are ok with street food or fast food or small cafes , public transport and lots of walking and some free attractions you should be fine most of the time. Just watch where and what you buy. For souvenirs, if you only want cheap stuff then the souvenir stores at Paddys ( there are some there) and say Manly will fill your bill. Maybe dont try and buy souvenirs at Darling harbour. Our Australian museum is free too. As is the Botanic Gardens, Walking along beaches, and your transport is already covered.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time Solo travel in Sydney on a budget suggestions

Do you have use of kitchen facilities where you are staying...find out where the supermarket is and get supplies there to cook your own meals.

also lunch time has much cheaper meal deals around than at night, especially at pubs.

the food halls dowstairs in large arcades and department stores may have bargains of takeaway packs at the end of the day..to take back to your room.

also buy some picnic food and small drink multi packs to take your own when going on the walks and zoos etc...so much cheapert than take aways..by the way the tap water is perfectly fine so dont waste money buying bottled water...bring a steel water container and a day backpack for your tucker.....have a great time ♡