We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park Royal or Pullman Hyde Park Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Park Royal or Pullman Hyde Park Sydney

Trying to decide between both hotels for four nights in December - both coming in around a similar price but just not sure which is better value. Any thoughts?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,919 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park Royal or Pullman Hyde Park Sydney

I can't comment on the actual hotels, but in terms of location, the Park Royal is better by a mile.

It's in the heart of Chinatown, next door to Darling Harbour and a 5 minute walk to the centre of the city, shops, railways stations and the free 555 bus.

The Pullman, on the other hand, is on the opposite side of Hyde Park from the city and a good 20 minute walk to the centre of town.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park Royal or Pullman Hyde Park Sydney

Hello,

First up, credits to you for comparative attention to details, as you probably couldn't choose two more similar hotels. Aside from location, almost every other aspect mirror each other, including service delivery. So rather than say X over Y, I'll just blurt out some thoughts;

- Hyde Park vs Darling Quarter

Both have their advantages, although my guess is that some would point out that the Hyde Park location is more picturesque and closer walking proximity to Circular Quay. The offset to this is that Park Royal is easily accessible to Town Hall, close to Chinatown and also not far from the ferry to Circular Quay. If both has views, it's a case of skyline lights vs view over the park. I think the Park a Royal wins.

In terms of dining proximity, the Park Royal wins hands down as it's a stones throw from Chinatown, Darling Quarter, Cockle Bay, and King Street.

- Rooms

Both have identical measurements for the first two room types at 32sqm. But the moment you jump up to their executive rooms (Pullman - Executive Double, Park Royal - Executive Suite), the gap becomes significant - both with a similar increase in rate. Executive Double at the Pullman stays the same at 32sqm, whereas the Executive Suite at the Park Royal jumps to 60sqm. If you can afford a jump of $40-60/night, I'd grab the Executive Suite.

Decor for both are very modern, both renovated recently (within last three years). Pullman is rather quirky with lots of splashes of purple and crashing colours, whereas the Park Royal is much more conservative, with various shades of light gold and browns. Furnishing is slightly more homely at the Pullman

- Ambience

They both make claims for attracting corporates, but it's actually the Pullman that's designed more as a business hotel, than one for leisure. Even the brand is geared to upscale business. In contrast, the Park Royal is definitely more leisure than corporate. I think this is reflected in their service approach, and for a lack of better description, it's a case of Park Royal friendly vs Pullman professional.

- Service

Both are as good as each other.

- Ratings

Pullman is 5 Self Rated, Park Royal is 4.5 Star Official Rated. So there's zero difference. If you wanted to crunch out some difference and read something into it, I'd say don't order Overnight Room Service at either.

- Facilities

Pullman is well ahead. Has an outdoor pool, PLUS wifi in all areas. Park Royal does not have wifi at all.

Edited: 12:42 am, June 06, 2014
3. Re: Park Royal or Pullman Hyde Park Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 08, 2015