We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3D2N Hunter Valley

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
341 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
3D2N Hunter Valley

Hihi

Other than wine tasting, what other activities do you recommend for a 3D2N trip in May?

Sydney
Level Contributor
409 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3D2N Hunter Valley

As you haven't mentioned who is travelling it is a bit hard to offer advice, but the Hunter Valley is not just about wine, there are a lot of other things to do there, such as:

hot air ballooning

day spas

gourmet restaurants and local produce tasting

music festivals - depending when you go

farm visits

if you have children with you the Hunter Valley Gardens can be a lot of fun.

It will be quite cool in May though, but I would do some google searches for more ideas, there is a lot to do there and it is a beautiful area.

Singapore
Level Contributor
341 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3D2N Hunter Valley

Thanks! Its a trip for couple. Initially planned to visit just 1 winery straight from BM and stay overnight at Cessnock. Next day morning drive back to Sydney. But find this arrangement kinda meaningful. So thought of staying 1 more night so I could spend 1 more day exploring the region.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3D2N Hunter Valley

Not sure HV is worth 2 nights but for a tourist but all depends on your interests etc

Maybe the scenic drive back to Sydney (Cessnock-Wollombi-Laguna-Calga-freeway to Sydney, takes 2hours).

www.huntervalleygardens.com.au/

You can play golf in HV

oakshotelsresorts.com/hunter-valley-accommod…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3D2N Hunter Valley

Even with no kids the Hunter Valley Gardens are a good place to visit if you like beautiful gardens, waterfalls, well kept lawns and different themes of gardens from Japanese to Indian to English.

On the drive in is the Hunter Valley Village with lots of shops and cafes, a playground and picnic areas.

Singapore
Level Contributor
341 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3D2N Hunter Valley

Thanks all for the tips. Was hesitating abt staying 2 nights too. Cos this means sacrificing 1 night in Sydney.

Since this is supposed to be a rest and relax trip, I thought it would make sense to have more time and a slower pace. I read on TA that there are other nice little small town in Broke and Lovedale. If I managed to see what I want to see in Hunter in a day, maybe I could use the spare day to visit Port Stephen or Newcastle city and then return to Cessnock to spend the night. I am also interested to visit Morpeth.

Do you think it is possible to book the hot air balloon the day before? Any good cafe with a scenic lookouts to laze in if I really run out of activity?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3D2N Hunter Valley

There are good golf courses too. If you are both not into Golf, these resorts have massage and relaxation centres.

Singapore
Level Contributor
341 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3D2N Hunter Valley

Massage and relaxation centres sound luxury. But it is probably costly. I am in fact considering horse ride or the hot air balloon. But the latter is quite costly. Do you have any good recommendation for horse ride?

Sydney
Level Contributor
409 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3D2N Hunter Valley

Broke and Lovedale are really part of the Hunter Valley so I definitely wouldn't stay there as well as they are within half an hour.

There are heaps of lovely cafés and restaurants with gorgeous views that you could easily spend time relaxing in, but I don't think you would get bored.

I have not been horse riding in HV so won't give advice there, and hot air ballooning although expensive is spectacular, but yes I imagine you would have to prebook as it is very early in the morning.

I don't know what your itinerary is, but it seems that you might be going Syd - BM - HV - Syd, in which case you could very easily drive from the Blue Mountains to the Hunter Valley, spend the afternoon looking at a couple of vineyards, then a nice dinner somewhere, then overnight in the HV, then somewhere nice for breakfast and a look at the Hunter Valley Gardens before heading off to Port Stephens.

Port Stephens is a lovely area with lots to do, including whale and dolphin cruises if that appeals, whale season usually starts around May, and the water around Port Stephens is crystal clear and beautiful. You could overnight there and then head to Newcastle for lunch the next day, then into Sydney that afternoon.

That will still only be the 2 nights, and you wouldn't have to drop any from your Sydney stay. And the drive between HV and Port Stephens is only a couple of hours, Port Stephens to Newcastle less than two hours and Newcastle to Sydney is two hours, give or take.

Have a think about that, if relaxation is what you are after, Port Stephens would be my choice for the second night instead of the Hunter valley.

Hope this is helpful and not more confusing.

Sydney
Level Contributor
409 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3D2N Hunter Valley

I definitely wouldn't go from HV to Port Stephens then back to overnight in the HV, it doesn't make sense to do it that way.

Singapore
Level Contributor
341 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3D2N Hunter Valley

Thanks, Kim! That's a very useful post!

I will be staying in Katoomba for 2 nights and then drive to Hunter Valley in the 3th morning. Was thinking of starting the day after 10am and maybe stop along the way for lunch/photos. Hence I estimate that we will only arrive at the wine region in the afternoon. Read from a few sites that most winery site tour/introduction starts at 10am so will probably be able to do just wine tasting. I will be staying in Cessnock instead of the wine towns. Will plan to drive around Polkein, Lovedale and Broke and stopover any places that appeal to us. This is our first trip to a wine region hence has no idea what to expect. My concern is that by staying just 1 night, I might not be able to have a slower pace trip. With the additional day, even if I drop off Port Stephen (I agreed this place looks fabulous and just spending 1 day is definitely not enough!), I could spend my day driving to Morperth or maybe Newcastle city or beach. Am I right to see it this way?

I arrive in Sydney on Friday noon and will be staying there till Sunday morning when I pick up the car and drive to BM. On returning from Hunter Valley, if I stay just 1 night, I will return to Sydney on Wednesday and leaving Sydney on Friday morning. If 2 nights in HV, I will be arriving in Sydney on Thursday morning (hopefully before 11am) and leaving on Friday morning.