We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge Climb

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
537 posts
Save Topic
Bridge Climb

Hi,

Would you recommend climbing the Sydney harbour bridge in the day or at night time?

As the weather is a little inconsistent at the minute I'd like to climb it on a day when i know the sun wil be out for pictures!! Is it possible to book it on the day itself or is it too busy?

Thanks

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,771 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bridge Climb

You are not permitted to take a camera on the Bridge climb so taking photos should not be the deciding factor.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bridge Climb

Week days you shouldn't have problems booking on the day or closer to the time at least.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bridge Climb

The time I would recommend is the "twilight" climbs where the sun is setting and the city lights are coming on. Not coincidentally, this is also the most expensive time to book.

If you want a similar view without the high cost of the bridge climb, and one where you can take your camera, consider the "Pylon Lookout" which is along the pedestrian walkway. It costs only $13 and is about 200 steps to the top of the pylon and nearly the same view as the top of the bridge. It isn't open at sunset however.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bridge Climb

Another option is to walk across the bridge. Best view is north to south ( towards the CBD ) with views up the Harbour, Opera House , Fort Dennison & the Royal Botanic Gardens.

Note: you can ONLY walk on the Eastern side - the western side is for bicyclists.

You could take a ferry or train to Milsons Point & walk back to the CBD if you didn't want to walk both ways - although it's only about 15-20 mins walk.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bridge Climb

Is the Pylon Lookout less frightening than the Bridge climb? I would like to do the bridge climb but my fear of height would pose a problem/

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,391 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bridge Climb

If you've got a genuine fear of heights, I'd recommend against BridgeClimb.

The Pylon is considerably better for those who have unease, because your opportunity to 'look down' is almost zero. It's not like you're on an overhang, and it's feels enclosed compared to BridgeClimb.

I personally think it's better value - and if you've got time, walk across the bridge, grab a coffee at Kirribilli and catch a leisurely ferry back.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bridge Climb

I do have a fear of heights. I walk across the Brooklyn Bridge daily with no problem, and I have Skydived out of a plane in Hawaii. I wanted to do the Bridge climb, but the thought ot looking down did scare me. I will definitely do the Pylon.

You say walk across the bridge, with the Pylon you are not walking across the bridge in an enclosed area? are you able to take pictures on the Pylon as well?

Thank You! I will do the Pylon on my second day! 13 more days before landing in Sydney!!!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,391 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bridge Climb

I'm not quite sure how you'd have acrophobia if you've skydived.

With the pylon, you don't walk 'across' the bridge as such, because you're climbing the South East pylon, which is on the city side. The walk across is not enclosed, it's an open pedestrian way, but the fencing is so high, that you can't look over the side of the bridge.

Speaking of which, BridgeClimb maybe ok for you. The steps going up, are overlapping and so wide, that even looking down, it's not like you see traffic beneath you. The only indicator you get of height is looking sideways/outwards towards the harbour. And they have an indoor test rig that everyone climbs over before you depart, to 'filter' those with either acrophobia, vertigo or both.

The benefit of the Pylon Climb, is that it's inexpensive (AUD$13), and you get to take your own photos. Much better value, and a whole less time.

Edited: 2:27 pm, April 17, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,391 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bridge Climb

Oops, sorry...

Yes, if you choose to walk across the bridge (not over), it's free and you can take photos of the pylon from underneath - which by the way, can look spectacular.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bridge Climb

<<<I'm not quite sure how you'd have acrophobia if you've skydived.>>>>

You obviously dont know many skydivers then. All the ones I know can happily dive all day - but cant stand on a ladder or they get vertigo.

"Height" sensation in a plane or balloon etc is totally different to that in a tall building or a high bridge etc.