We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Visit to Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1st Visit to Sydney

I am planning a trip to Sydney in mid May 2014 for 6 days and this will be my very 1st visit to Sydney. Hence, I have some queries about my trip and I hope you could share your experience with me :-

1) What is the weather usually like in May? Cold? Need to prepare any heavy or thick clothing?

2) Which area should I stay in? Since this is a budget travel, I prefer to go for economy hotels in the city. I have a hotel in my mind, ie. Travelodge Sydney @ Wentworth Avenue. Is this a good choice for me? Is this hotel located within walking distance to Chinatown, Darling Harbour or any tourist spots? Is this hotel located very near to train station?

3) Any comments on these two hotels, ie. Breakfree on George and Ibis World Square?

4) Which of these hotels is most convenient? Travelodge? Breakfree? or Ibis?

5) I plan to sign up the day tours, I should go for A) Blue Mountains and Jenolan Caves or B) Blue Mountains and Australian wildlife? What is the difference between these two day tours? Which one I should go for?

6) If I would choose between Manly and Bondi Beach, which one I should go for?

7) What is the economical way to visit all the tourist spots in the city centre? By train? By bus? or By foot?

Thank you in advance for your valuable time and effort.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Visit to Sydney

1. Wear layers

2. The area you should stay in will be determined pretty much by your budget. Travelodge Sydney is a 'value' hotel handy to Museum Station and Hyde Park. Actual location isn't exciting but ok.

3. Both budget hotels. Travelodge has the larger rooms of all three.

4. Convent for? All three are within five blocks of each other, all have some sort of access to transport ajd or walking to Chinatown and Darling Harbour. Easier if you tell us what your nightly budget is.

5. Blue Mountains AND Jenolan Caves in one day is too much. Either do the other tour or stay a night up there.

6. Don't have to choose, you've got six days so do both. Catch a ferry to Manly, and for Bondi, do the Coogee/Bondi walk - go there by bus.

7. Combination of all of them. But within the CBD, primarily walking and the free 555 bus.

Edited: 1:32 pm, March 11, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Visit to Sydney

It would be preferable to do Blue Mountains and Jenolan Caves on two separate days rather than doing a tour that fits both. There are a lot of amazing walking tracks in the Blue Mountains so I would recommend one whole day for it and another day for Jenolan Caves.

I would prefer going to Manly than Bondi Beach because the walk in Manly is amazing but since this is your first time in Sydney, it would be preferable you to go to Manly and Bondi. If you have time, I would recommend a visit to Watsons Bay, there is a really good walk and some good scenery. You can get to Watsons Bay by ferry or bus. If you take the bus, you will pass Bondi beach on the way so you could do Watsons Bay and Bondi Beach in one day.

Romford England
Level Contributor
7 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Visit to Sydney

Sean, for economical good accommodation search the website. Air NB

Travelodge wanted to charge me £880 for 5 nights at New Year period !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Visit to Sydney

Actually Eddie, £880 for 5 nights at New Year is not a bad deal. New Years Eve accomodation in Sydney is some of the most expensive in the world, with many hotels charging 4x their normal nightly rate. The rate you quote is about AUD $325 per night, which is excellent if it includes NYE.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Visit to Sydney

>>>Travelodge wanted to charge me £880 for 5 nights at New Year period !<<<

Good thing you didn't look around Circular Quay or the Rocks.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Visit to Sydney

If I were you I would go to economy class hotels if you want to save. Good thing you have searched already some hotels nearby, but make it sure that your hotel is just near to the city. Cause yes you can save from your lodging yet your transportation could cause you a lot.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Visit to Sydney

Dear All,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and suggestions, really appreciated.

KVE - Stays in George Street will be more convenient and happening as compared to Wentworth Avenue?

As I will need to pay much more if I choose to stay at Breakfree On George instead of Travelodge Sydney, Wentworth Avenue. As mentioned in your earlier post, both hotels are located five blocks away, I suppose it shouldn't be any problems for me to walk over to Chinatown and Paddy's Markets from Travelodge Sydney.

Is it possible for me to walk over to Darling Harbour and Sydney Opera House from Travelodge Sydney?

KVE/Banester/Mark - I only have 2 free days to walk around the city and the rest of the days I will be on tours, ie. Port Stephens, Nelson Bay Dunes, Blue Mountains and Jenolan Caves. In order for me to explore the whole city in Sydney, which travel card or pass is best for me to travel around? I am expected to take buses, ferries and trains for these 2 days as I am planning to visit SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium, WILD LIFE Sydney, Sydney Tower Eye, Manly SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, Olympic Park and DFO. Is it worth for me to purchase the MyMulti DayPass (AUD23-00) for only 1 day unlimited rides? Or to purchase the tickets separately for each mode of transport since all the major tourist spots are located within walking distance?

What about Opal card? Where can I get this card from? Would it be more economical to travel around by using this card? Since I need to load value onto this card, in the way, I only pay when I use it, I suppose I could save more instead of buying the Mymulti DayPass. The only thing is as to whether I could get back the unused balance if I choose to surrender the card at the end of the day? What do you think?

Thank you so much for your kind assistance.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Visit to Sydney

>>>KVE - Stays in George Street will be more convenient and happening as compared to Wentworth Avenue?<<<

The distance is basically down one street, so it's not that much more different. The reason why I stated that Travelodge Wentworth's location isn't that exciting, is that it's not immediate in terms of shops, and it's located across from a noisy pub. BUT, it's perfectly safe, and less than ten minute walk to Chinatown.

>>>As I will need to pay much more if I choose to stay at Breakfree On George instead of Travelodge Sydney, Wentworth Avenue. As mentioned in your earlier post, both hotels are located five blocks away, I suppose it shouldn't be any problems for me to walk over to Chinatown and Paddy's Markets from Travelodge Sydney<<<

No problem whatsoever. Step out the hotel, turn right into Goulburn Street, walk straight down to George Street, turn right and you're already in Chinatown.

I would choose Travelodge Sydney over Breakfree on George.

>>>Is it possible for me to walk over to Darling Harbour and Sydney Opera House from Travelodge Sydney?<<<

Yes, but it's about 30 min walk to Circular Quay (really scenic as you walk along Hyde Park and Macquarie St), or you can walk down to George St and catch the free 555 bus, or if you're feeling lazy, then go to Museum Station and catch the train.

Its about the same to Darling Harbour (down the very bottom of Goulburn St is the start of the area, but it's called Darling Quarter. You can either walk around the back of the Sydney Entertainment Centre, or walk along Day St)

Pas. Where did you get the idea for Madam Tussaud's? It's not that recommended. If you've seen the one in London, you'll be disappointed, as the Sydney one is tiny. Also, recommend Taronga Zoo than Wildlife.

Edited: 2:23 pm, March 12, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Visit to Sydney

Edit timeout

I ask about Madam Tussaud's and all the other attractions you've mentioned, because it sounds like you got the ideas from looking at the iVenture Card offers. If so, STOP. it's bad value, and has difficult conditions attached.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Visit to Sydney

As you only have 2 spare days:

The iVenture card is for 'cheaper' and real touristy places

There is not much to see at Olympic Park and not that easy yo get to. Instead of DFO consider Birkenhead Point Outlet Centre at Drummoyne (bus or taxi from city and much closer). It will take half a day at least to visit.

Also for a shopping mall experience look at Westfield Pitt St (close to your hotel) or Westfield Bondi Junction (train from city/Martin Place).