We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good hostels for NYE/Christmas in Sydney?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Good hostels for NYE/Christmas in Sydney?

I'm travelling to Sydney in December 2014. I will be heading there on the working holiday visa.

I want to be in Sydney for this time and I will be travelling solo. I'm aware that there are minimum stay requirements and the price will increase but at this time I'm not bothered about those factors.

I'd like advice from anyone who's travelled at this time before, what hostel would you recommend?

I want a hostel that offers good activities with a friendly atmosphere. I really don't know where to start looking as I'm after a lively hostel where i'll meet people to spend the Christmas period with, I don't want to be in a quiet hostel that is miles away from where everything is going on.. Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good hostels for NYE/Christmas in Sydney?

Well, around Xmas/New Year,you can't go past the Sydney Harbour YHA. It's a location to die for! It also gets top reviews all year round.

Their New Years eve bookings open up around April sometime - you could contact them and ask when - and they sell out within hours.

…yha.com.au/Hostels/…

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good hostels for NYE/Christmas in Sydney?

Ok thanks a lot, I have checked these guys out.. About the only one I had heard of to be honest. I stayed in the same chain of hostels whilst I was travelling around the US and some of them were better than others but generally they were all safe and great locations! I will make sure i'm on the ball as soon as they go on sale then ready to book!

Thanks for your help :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good hostels for NYE/Christmas in Sydney?

I would recommend the YHA Sydney harbour too but last year they booked out for NYE very quickly (like minutes!).

The Hostel World site has good reviews, perhaps you could send messages to reviewers there who stayed over NYE/Xmas period & ask some more questions?

http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/Sydney

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good hostels for NYE/Christmas in Sydney?

Thanks i'll do my best to try get a room there but obviously if I have no luck i'll have to try somewhere else. I'm just a bit concerned about the atmosphere. The only thing I found with most of the USA chains, they lacked in atmosphere drastically sometimes. I found it difficult to meet people sometimes because there wasn't always activities on. Does this YHA have an age limit or does anyone who's stayed there before know whether it's a good starting point for meeting youths also backpacking?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good hostels for NYE/Christmas in Sydney?

TBH Sofi we don't get a huge number of backpackers posting here unfortunately, it might be a good idea to post this on the Lonely Planet forum as you might get more responses from backpackers there.

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,403 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good hostels for NYE/Christmas in Sydney?

Another vote right here for the YHA.

I think you'll find a wide spectrum of ages from youths to families, but I'm not sure they have activities like that of other backpackers.

But if get in contact with them and see what they have planned for that period. They normally have a great presence on here, and one particular staff writes from time to time with a bunch of stuff, not just about the YHA. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to answer your questions.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good hostels for NYE/Christmas in Sydney?

Okay thank you :) I've messaged YHA anyway for more details and I have posted on some of the forums I usually use but i'll try that Lonely Planet one you've mentioned. Thanks for all your help guys, i'm quite surprised that TripAdvisor don't have a backpacker forum though, that would be pretty cool.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,403 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good hostels for NYE/Christmas in Sydney?

That and similar suggestions have been made before - like safari forums, couples forums etc. I think that particular 'category' is well covered by other websites such as Travellerspoint, so perhaps that's the reason why.

But there are other forums here that overlap backpacking, such as Bargain Travel and Holiday Travel forums.

Edited: 6:54 pm, February 20, 2014
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good hostels for NYE/Christmas in Sydney?

As KVE noted, THA caters to all age groups and all types from singles to large extended families. To satisfy everyone, they tend to be slightly more restrictive particularly regarding noise late at night. If you are after a party hostel that caters specifically to young backpackers there are many other options. In fact these would be considerably cheaper as the Sydney Harbour YHA is the most expensive in the city.

Mia's idea of checking out the hipster world site is excellent. If you read the reviews you'll soon get a clear idea of the kind of place you would line to stay. There are hostels all over Sydney. Mainly near Central Railway, Bondi Beach, Manly and the inner Western suburbs. All of these locations are good spots to base yourself.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good hostels for NYE/Christmas in Sydney?

Lol Eva "hipster world site"

- I would like to find that one ;-)