We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aria or quay?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
125 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Aria or quay?

Could anyone help me out with a little dilemma. For our last night in SYdney we are planning on going to either aria or quay restaurant but we are unsure of which one to pick? Quay seems to have better reviews but it is really worth $65 aus dollars more than aria for the tasting menu?? We have got it down to these 2 due to it being a Monday & availability.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aria or quay?

You're going to have a tough time separating the two in terms of cuisine. Both are very established in their own right.

Quay does get alot of recognition due to its location, but I think it distinctly is ahead on innovative cookery.

So yes, I think it's worth it, but Aria isn't too far behind.

Edited: 2:07 pm, February 17, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aria or quay?

Agree with KVE. Been to both, like both very much & would choose Quay.

Just hope there isn't a cruise ship blocking your view.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aria or quay?

I just want to throw a spanner in the works and put a couple thoughts out there.

If you're going strictly by cuisine, there's a handful of others which are equally noteworthy, particularly Marque and Sepia. And if that's the case, rather than going on reviews, have you considered comparing menus? If the view is the main criteria, you can always lunch at somewhere like Cafe Sydney or MCA.

What made you choose those two?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aria or quay?

And book as soon as possible

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
125 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aria or quay?

It's a Monday so a few of those are closed & cafe sydney is already booked up that's how we got to the 2.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
125 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aria or quay?

The view isn't the most important thing as we are in a hotel with a harbour view from our room.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aria or quay?

Been to both & would say Quay by a long shot. The food, service & view is superior IMHO & definitely worth the exta $$.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,865 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aria or quay?

Yep

I've been to both several times and Quay is the winner

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,919 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aria or quay?

+1 for Quay.

If you pay attention to awards, Quay is the only Sydney restaurant that makes it into the Top 50 Restaurants in the world list.

Aria is also very good and you won't be disappointed if you decide on going there but Quay is just that one notch higher. A bit like differentiating between Heston's 'Dinner' and another top notch restaurant.

theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners/#t31-40

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aria or quay?

Sorry to hijack the thread. We are booked into Aria in 2 weeks (was looking at Quay as well) but I'm a bit unsure about this as my husband and I both do not eat shellfish. I know that Aria and Quay both say they accomodate dietery requirements but I'm not sure if we're wasting our time if their normal menu needs to be changed and thus maybe won't be as good. Thoughts? It is pretty rare for us to spend so much on a special dinner so I would hate for it to go to waste.