We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hour layover in Sydney

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
8 hour layover in Sydney

Hi,

My partner and I have an 8 hour layover to Sydney from New Zealand and would like some help on what we can do in this really short time. The flight lands at 8.50am on a Saturday and departs at 4.25pm.

We would love to do some sightseeing (e.g. opera house etc.) and try some good food, but we're not a fan of museums. We wont even mind just chilling for a picnic where there's a really nice view.

Please advise what we can do. Thanks a million!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hour layover in Sydney

First have the right visas to leave the airport.

Two - is the luggage booked through to final destination ?

Look at catching the train to Circular Quay and then walk around the Opera House (have lunch around there) and then train (avoids any traffic problems) back to airport (allowing time for check-in).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hour layover in Sydney

Hi dennn0,

I'd agree with the above poster. How much can you walk? If you're keen to work a few kms, I'd catch a train into Central station and then walk north towards Circular Quay. If you have a look on a map you'll see that the botanical gardens are just to east of where you'd walk and they're worth checking out.

You've got the Opera House and Harbor bridge all near Circular Quay as well as heaps of restaurants.

After relaxing there for a few hours, I'd get on the train at Circular Quay (or walk back to Central) and then return to the airport. I'd avoid getting a taxi because the roads (especially around the airport) can be horrendous (even on a Saturday).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hour layover in Sydney

I'm assuming you're a Singaporean passport holder. If so you can pick up an electronic visa online, it will cost $20AUD each person.

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp

As the above posters said, I'd catch the (overpriced) Airport train from the city to Circular Quay station (22 minutes according to Google) and walk to the Opera House. You'll get a beautiful view of Sydney harbour, the harbour bridge and you'll get to see the opera house. Particularly if it's hot, a beer or other drink at Opera bar would be great (this is an outdoor bar in front of the opera house which overlooks sydney harbour).

Unlike Singapore, we don't really have any "must eats" but I'd probably have some pub grub somewhere in the city for something they don't really have in SG (can I recommend a chicken parmigiana?) A pub I like not too far from the harbour is called "30 Knots". They do a great chicken parma.

http://merivale.com.au/30knots

After lunch it will be time to head back to the airport. If you ate at the bar above, Wynyard would be your nearest station, but any CBD station apart from Martin Place would get you there without having to change trains. My Singlish is bad but that looks like a nubbad day :p

Note: for when you buy your train ticket. Buy it as return to "City". This will let you come back from any station in the CBD, not just Circular Quay. It will cost the same.

Oh and don't bother coming from Central like the guy above said. It's not really far but you don't have much time and it would be at least a half hour walk to circular quay from there. I agree that the botanical gardens are great but I don't know you'd have time for it. The gardens are next to the Opera House anyway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hour layover in Sydney

Minor correction - the pub that yaziyo refers to on Hunter St is called "The Grand Hotel" (as all the signs outside say). They do have a nautical themed area called "30 Knots" on Level 1, but this is not the name of the pub.

Singapore
Level Contributor
326 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hour layover in Sydney

I'll have a 10 hours layover, and wondering about visa. From what I've read, Singapore passport holders are eligible for the transit visa for stays of under 72 hours. Can anyone confirm if that's true, and if we need to apply for it before arrival?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hour layover in Sydney

No person on here can offer definite visa advice - you may have specific situation that we aren't going to be aware of.

However, generally Singapore passport holders would be eligible for and would obtain an ETA (pay $20 on the official Australian government web site), or a free transit visa. An ETA would be recommended as it's very easy to apply and it's usually granted instantly. A transit visa is free but is more complicated to apply for and can take many days or weeks to be granted. Transit visas are really only intended for those who are from countries where ETAs aren't possible.

ETA information: immi.gov.au/Services/Pages/electronic-travel…

Transit visa info: http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/771.aspx

Some airlines and travel agents can also obtain an ETA for you, but I do not recommend purchasing from an independent web site, as you have no way of being sure of it's validity.

Singapore
Level Contributor
326 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 hour layover in Sydney

Jeremy, thank you for your advise! It's still a few months to my trip so I'm going to try for a transit visa. Your link was really helpful!

8. Re: 8 hour layover in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, November 23, 2014
9. Re: 8 hour layover in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 25, 2015