We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Meriton Serviced Apart (World Tower) in a safe location?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spore
12 posts
Save Topic
Is Meriton Serviced Apart (World Tower) in a safe location?

Hi, Tripadvisor says to be careful around George St from the cinemas and south to Haymarket.

We have two young kids and find Meriton Serviced Apartments - World Tower (Liverpool St) ideal for our needs. There are good reviews for Meriton but I'm worried as we will be out all day and back only at night around 8 to 9PM. We are likely to take the bus or train and may have to walk along George St.

Can someone kindly advise? Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Meriton Serviced Apart (World Tower) in a safe location?

The location around Meriton World Square is a 'busy' one, but your family is safe.

The immediate proximity of Liverpool St towards George St, tends to be crowded pretty much all day and night, and considerably more so on Friday and Saturday nights (There are three buildings World Tower, Meriton and Rydges, so there are many guests and residents around. Plus it's on the edge of 'Korea Town' with many eateries, and it also happens to be the only taxi rank in the area). A good majority of the crowd are shoppers, and foot traffic heading through or past World Square.

The areas of concern is more between the cinema area of George St, heading towards Town Hall (recent incidents all seemed have occurred near the corner of Park St), and one block down at the corner of George and Goulburn St where Scruffy Murphy's pub is located - but it's much much later at night. If you're talking 9-10pm, you'll be perfectly safe. The easiest way to remember the areas to avoid late at night - think McDonalds. Anywhere there's a 24hr McDonalds always attracts the 'after drinking' crowd.

If you have any concerns, you can always catch the bus to World Square (the bus stop is only like 50m from the front door - out, to your left and around the corner), or if you're returning really late, just catch a taxi to World Square taxi rank on Liverpool St - it's outside the front door of Meriton.

But I stress again, you'll be fine.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Meriton Serviced Apart (World Tower) in a safe location?

I've never felt unsafe staying there (having said that, we never stay out extremely late). Meriton World Tower is truly one of the best places we've stayed (love the views you can get!), so, I wouldn't worry so much.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Meriton Serviced Apart (World Tower) in a safe location?

I was surprised to read your comments. I stayed here with 3 friends on a girls weekend and it never entered my head that it was an unsafe neighbourhood. We walked around the area at all times of the day and night. Do not worry at all.

Happy travels.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Meriton Serviced Apart (World Tower) in a safe location?

There are occasionally drunken fights between 1am and 5am, so if that would intimidate you try and get inside by then.

There used to be a bit of an Asian crime gang problem, with stabbings etc however I haven't heard anything on that front for years. Regardless, it only ever affected gangsters - no bystanders were ever injured. All these incidents also happened around 2am.

Note, these are just the reasons why you've heard what you've heard. Personally, I would be 100% fine to walk anywhere in the city at anytime of day or night (except alone in a park)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Meriton Serviced Apart (World Tower) in a safe location?

Hi Cutesmurf

Agreed with all the above posts but like anywhere, its best to be viligant and aware at all times of your surroundings and the goings on around.

Spore
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Meriton Serviced Apart (World Tower) in a safe location?

Thank you everyone for your replies. :)

I can now proceed to make a reservation.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Meriton Serviced Apart (World Tower) in a safe location?

It's an area I frequent often and have never felt threatened. It's a great location and very good accommodation and I agree the vews are amazing (visited a friend there but couldn't get too close to the window as I get giddy with heights). It's a busy area at all times and there are always peple around. The negative reports you may have heard can occur anywhere alcohol is supplied and situations are fairly infrequent and tend to occur late at night. I too feel 100% safe walking in this area at night. Great location.

8. Re: Is Meriton Serviced Apart (World Tower) in a safe location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 11, 2015