We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi transfer from Sydney International to Queenscliffe

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi transfer from Sydney International to Queenscliffe

Hi,

we are coming to Sydney in just over three weeks yippee!

I want to know the best way to get to our holiday let in Queenscliffe from the International terminal.

We will have travelled for 28hrs with a nine year old (3 of us in total) with 3 heavy cases and 3 small handluggage type bags so don't really want to be hauling cases here there and everywhere so that probably rules out the train/ferry/bus route.

I have read a lot of neagative things about the shuttles so that would leave taxis (please feel free to say if i am wrong!)

Can anyone advise how much a taxi would cost? I have received a qoute for $110(one way) which to me seems really expensive.Is it cheaper to prebook online (and if so with whom) or would be able to just get a taxi at the airport? How much should i realistically expect to pay.We are arriving at 7.30am on a Saturday morning.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Lahore, Pakistan
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi transfer from Sydney International to Queenscliffe

$110 is fine as far as a taxi foes cos the distance is almost 33KM according to Google and the route passes through CBD which might or might not be crowded. Also, pls note that if you get caught up in a traffic jam , the meter keeps running ,so in reality, the fare might be more than $110.

You're true about the shuttle, not worth it. Also, too much hassle in case of the train or bus.

you could look at hire cars. advantage with them is that they pick you up form the AP and drop you right at the doorstep and the best part is that the price they state is what you pay, regardless if there's a traffic jam or something cos they operate on a fix price plus GST (Goods & Services Tax) base. Google Sydney Airport Transportation or airport hire car Sydney. a few options i came across are www.silverlimos.com.au, www.fmhlimousines.com.au, www.royalelimousines.com.au. you can google more.

NOTE: please compare prices and get something in writing before committing....Also inq about TOTAL price Incl GST & Tolls (if any)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi transfer from Sydney International to Queenscliffe

Just to add, the line up for the taxis from the airport is well managed. There isn't a need to book online. No one will push in front of you if you are next in line.

As Mohsin states, $110 doesn't mean $110. But hopefully at 7.30am, there are no accidents or traffic jams.

Late last year, my husband and I caught a taxi at 7.30am on Saturday when we landed back in Sydney. There was a major accident and it took us 1.5 hours and cost $160 or $170 and we don't live as far as Queenscliffe.

If you decide to use a hire car, at the top of my head, there is the Eastern Distributor Tunnel to go through from the City. Not 100% sure how much the toll is.

Hope this gives you a better idea of costs of a taxi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi transfer from Sydney International to Queenscliffe

PS: The taxi driver also had to divert to another route because the whole Harbour Bridge was closed that morning.

Lahore, Pakistan
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi transfer from Sydney International to Queenscliffe

link for the toll roads http://sydneymotorways.com/rta_map.html. just put in the entry and exit point and it will show the toll.

uk
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi transfer from Sydney International to Queenscliffe

Thank you both for your replies.

I have had a quote from an airport hirecar company for $110 inclusive of tolls etc and it's a fixed fare so i may well go with them, Although if it's going to be a similar price if i pick up a taxi at the airport that might be easier in case we get delayed etc?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,515 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi transfer from Sydney International to Queenscliffe

No need for a cab to go anywhere near the CBD. The Eastern Distributor is an expressway from the airport to the north shore, bypassing the CBD.

I would use Towncars. Just got a quote of $102

Sydney International Airport to Queenscliff ( no "e" on the end. that one is in Victoria.

This is a fixed price, inclusive of tolls. Www.towncars.com.au

I use them quite often for airport - northern beaches. Always reliable.

Forget about airport transfers. Very hit & miss and generally not well regarded by posters here.

As others have said, taxis fares are subject to traffic delays, which at 7:30 on a Saturday night should be minimal, unless there is a major sporting fixture or something else at the SCG.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,515 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi transfer from Sydney International to Queenscliffe

No need for a cab to go anywhere near the CBD. The Eastern Distributor is an expressway from the airport to the north shore, bypassing the CBD.

I would use Towncars. Just got a quote of $102

Sydney International Airport to Queenscliff ( no "e" on the end. that one is in Victoria.

This is a fixed price, inclusive of tolls. Www.towncars.com.au

I use them quite often for airport - northern beaches. Always reliable.

Forget about airport transfers. Very hit & miss and generally not well regarded by posters here.

As others have said, taxis fares are subject to traffic delays, which at 7:30 on a Saturday morning should be minimal, unless there is a major sporting fixture or something else at the SCG.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,515 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi transfer from Sydney International to Queenscliffe

Don't worry about flight arrival delays - Towncars ( and other good limo services) take your flight details when you book and monitor the arrival times.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi transfer from Sydney International to Queenscliffe

"No need for a cab to go anywhere near the CBD. The Eastern Distributor is an expressway from the airport to the north shore, bypassing the CBD."

Sorry, but this just isn't true. The Eastern Distributor goes directly under the eastern & northern CBD. It is not just a bypass to the Harbour Tunnel/Bridge, it carries thousands of commuters directly to the CBD also. Hence, traffic jams in the CBD can and do impinge upon the ED's traffic, whcih was the point of mentioning this earlier.

I agree that the E.D. to Harbour Tunnel is the most efficient way to reach the North Shore from the airport, but it's incorrect to say it can't be affected by CBD traffic problems.

Edited: 7:56 pm, January 05, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi transfer from Sydney International to Queenscliffe

OR.... you could pay a few dollars more and ask to go over the harbor bridge for the most spectacular view of the worlds most beautiful city.