We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit time in Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Transit time in Sydney

A group of five of us are flying Wellington-Melbourne on 20th February. Air NZ has cancelled our direct flight so we are now having to go through Sydney.

We arrive Sydney on NZ845 at 8.20am, and depart for Melbourne on NZ7271 at 10.00am - this flight is operated by Virgin Airlines.

Air NZ gave us this option and it's ticketed under one booking reference, so I'm assuming there will be enough time to transit.

Does anyone have any tips for us? I am presuming taking the train between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 would be the best way to get between the terminals?

Does anyone know if we will have to collect our bags and clear Customs/Immigration before leaving Terminal 1? I am assuming that we will.

If so, will we be able to recheck the bags in at Terminal 1 or will we have to take them with us on the train and recheck them in at the Virgin counter at Terminal 2?

I know there's a couple of similar queries on this forum but they're a bit old.

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit time in Sydney

Well it does not give you much time even if your original flight is on time. Yes you will have to collect your luggage and check in at T2. The train is the quick way to trasnfer.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit time in Sydney

ANZ and VA are partner airlines an codeshare flights between NZ and Aus.

Since you are one one ticket you will be eligible for their free seamless transfer service from T1 to T2.

virginaustralia.com/au/en/experience/at-the-…

If you use the seamless transfer and miss your flight, VA will put you on the next available flight to MEL. If you take off and choose to travel independently between T1 and T2, then you are on your own.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit time in Sydney

I don't think you have enough time. You will have to collect your bags and take them through Customs and I have had this take up to an hour depending how many flights arrive around that time. Contact Air NZ and see what they think?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit time in Sydney

Follow the instructions as provided Eva, and you'll be fine. Interlining wouldn't be on one ticket unless they felt it could be made. In the event it's not, you're protected for your onward connection.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit time in Sydney

Thanks for the responses. Evamelb, I've looked at the website you provided and it's got some good info so I will call both Air NZ and Virgin just to be 100% crystal clear.

I wouldn't have thought of using a Virgin transfer bus.

I wish AirNZ would advise this sort of info when they issue the ticket.

Thanks again everyone.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit time in Sydney

I've done the trip, and thought I'd update how it went.

We arrived in Sydney on time, and we were really lucky that we struck a lull inbetween several big planes arriving either side of our arrival. The immigration man told us that 30 minutes previously the area had been chocka block with people, and would be that way again in another 30 minutes. We virtually had the area to ourselves!

Having read the advice on the Virgin site made it very clear where to go/what to do - I'm not sure how well it would have worked if I hadn't read that.

We were able to very comfortably collect bags, get through Customs/immigration, and take the bus to T2

I am not sure what I would do next time - because the flights are on one ticket, issued by the airline I would probably take the same flights again and hope that we made it through as quickly.

My first choice would be to take a direct flight Wellington to Melbourne so I'm hoping they reinstate the flight before next year when we do the same trip.

Thank you all for your help.

7. Re: Transit time in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 03, 2015