We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International arrival with Coffee in bag?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
International arrival with Coffee in bag?

Hi, can anyone advise if I can bring a sealed glass jar of coffee in my checked luggage from New Zealand to Aussie and not declare it?

Many thanks, Cal

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,736 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International arrival with Coffee in bag?

why wouldn't you just declare it ...plenty of people bring coffee back from more exotic locations than NZ without drama

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International arrival with Coffee in bag?

I'd declare it. (Then again I declare chocolate Toblerones that are still sealed) They'll more than likely wave you through, however coffee is often used to mask the scent of drugs in order to put off the drug detection dogs so don't make yourself a target.

Oscar

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International arrival with Coffee in bag?

Many thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International arrival with Coffee in bag?

You must declare all food - no exceptions.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International arrival with Coffee in bag?

The 'nothing to declare' line can often be longer than the line to declare things.

They will most likely come along the line and ask you what you have, view it and send you straight out.

Declare everything, there's no good reason not to.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,760 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International arrival with Coffee in bag?

As Helen asked first up, why would this question even be asked?

If the question was along the lines of "what do I have to declare?..." - that's completely understandable. This is effectively the same as asking 'how can I hide something?'

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International arrival with Coffee in bag?

In the past I have brought coffee back from America. I always declared it and have had no problems.

For the record, I have also brought butter back from New Zealand; declared it and again had no problems.

As all of the above advice says; declare all foodstuffs and save yourself and difficulties.

London
Level Contributor
718 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: International arrival with Coffee in bag?

<You must declare all food - no exceptions.>

Aussieboy, that's not quite true and hasn't been since the Incoming Passenger Card was altered a year ago. Theory and practice may well differ but it's no longer correct that *all* food must be declared.

https:/…english-ipc-sample.pdf

Edited: 8:16 pm, December 23, 2013
Melbourne
Level Contributor
61 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International arrival with Coffee in bag?

Can't see why you'd bother, unless you can't live without your brand of coffee. It must be gold? Although I relate, when staying in motels for work I also carry my own rather than drink the often in house sawdust packets. But Australia is coffee mad (especially Melbourne) and if you care to google it, your brand will most likely be available locally. I totally forgot I had coffee in my bag when returning from Malaysia, and that passed through without incident. However all the above TA's are right, honesty is the best policy, and surely not the end of the world anyway if it gets confiscated?

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International arrival with Coffee in bag?

No longer have to declare all food items - meat, poultry, fish etc etc yes. I bring coffee back from Brazil. I declare it - 10/10 times I get waved straight through.

Edited: 1:12 pm, December 27, 2013