We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney NYE, Staying at the Airport Holiday Inn...travel sug.

Newcastle, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Sydney NYE, Staying at the Airport Holiday Inn...travel sug.

Hi...We are staying at the Sydney Holiday Inn at the airport on NYE. We have 3 children(5, 9, 10)...any suggestions on the best way to travel back an forth to the city to watch the fireworks?....I also have the option of parking on Walker Street....

thanks!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney NYE, Staying at the Airport Holiday Inn...travel sug.

The best way is by train. Mascot station is close by.

Just be aware (if you aren't already familiar) that the city is now stupidly crowded on NYE, and crowd control even stops people entering areas that are deemed to be at capacity. People spend their entire afternoon/evening just reserving a view for midnight, and you'll have to have a plan for your kids.

If you are heading for the city, I don't think North Sydney is a better location that Mascot.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney NYE, Staying at the Airport Holiday Inn...travel sug.

If you choose to park on Walker Street in North Sydney, then it is probably better for you to stay on that side of the harbour to watch the fireworks. There are plenty of viewing places on that side which should be in walking distance of your parking spot. Otherwise if you try to go to the city from Walker Street, then the trip back will be slow. This is because from the city side, you will need to walk to Wynyard station to get the train to North Sydney, and I have found that after the fireworks are finished, this is a very slow walk due to the crowds.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,403 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney NYE, Staying at the Airport Holiday Inn...travel sug.

Umm, I don't really think the OP is staying at the airport and parking on Walker St. North Sydney. I'm pretty sure they mean Walker AVE Mascot.

Is it no parking at the hotel or is it because you've been offered a spot cheaper? With kids, I wouldn't be parking that far way at that time of night on NYE. I'd park at the hotel if you can.

Edited: 8:32 pm, December 10, 2013
4. Re: Sydney NYE, Staying at the Airport Holiday Inn...travel sug.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 12, 2014