We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney- My Multi Pass

Auckland
Level Contributor
47 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney- My Multi Pass

Hi there

We will be in Sydney for 5 days . Arriving Mon morning , leaving Friday afternoon and someone suggested we get a My Multi Pass. I've looked online but not sure which one to get. We plan to mainly stay in the city and use the train/buses quite a bit (we will have our 18month old daughter with us) and we will probably do a couple day trips out to Bondi Beach and Taronga Zoo. Can anyone please advise if it would be worth it for us to get the my multi pass? Also how does it work with the train from the airport, can we use this pass too? Or would it be easier/ cheaper to go by taxi to and from the airport? We will probably have about 2 bags (hopefully just the 2!) a stroller, backpack and nappy bag.

Thank in Advance :)

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Bondi Beach
Bondi Beach
5,784 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,908 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney- My Multi Pass

For convenience, a MyMulti ticket will always be easier.

For value, you have to tell us what trips you will be doing to figure out if it will actually be cheaper, because if you are only doing one return trip per day, you will probably be better off with another ticket. The city is walkable, and the free 555 bus trundles up and down George St from Central to the Quay.

For the trips you list, you will need a MyMulti-2, because the ferry to Taronga requires it. If you want to go to Manly you will need a MyMultil-3.

At the airport you need to pay a station access fee of $12.30 to get on or off - in addition to your MyMulti ticket. Your daughter - at 18 months - is free on all services.

Mentioned in this post
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,807 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney- My Multi Pass

True it all depends on what you want to see and where you want to go.If you were thinking of going to the Blue Mountains then a MyMulti3 would be the option(you can also optain them with a gatepass for the airport.The city has a 555 free shuttle(but this service is always busy),thus at times standard services are sometimes abetter option and as the CBD and many bus corridors in and out are now prepay(you need a ticket to board as no cash accepted)....thus a good reason for a MyMulti or even a MyBus ticket.Did you want to go Manly just the once or many times? The Zoo has special Zoolink tickets which give you transport there and entry.

Also where are you staying?

There are Transit Shops located at CQ next to Maccas,behind Wynard Station and the QVB,also at Central Station near the Broadway side.

If you are arriving on a Monday morning and have a toddler and pram with you,its best to probably get a taxi into town,than a train as its is packed as tight as sardines,but most stations and 90% of buses are lowfloor accessible now.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
268 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney- My Multi Pass

inas has covered the mymulti question really well.

I'd just add that with suitcases, a toddler and two adults, I wouldn't even consider a train from the airport. A cab will be about $50. The train (assuming you pay the full fare) will be about $36. It's just not worth the hassle of escalators, on and off trains, more escalators, walking to the hotel.....just grab a cab.

Auckland
Level Contributor
47 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney- My Multi Pass

Thanks for your comments. Fair point with the taxis!Can just order a taxi with a carseat at the airport? Or will we have to book this in advance? We arrive about 9.30 on the Monday morning.

We are going to stay mainly in the city area in an apartment near Chinatown/ George St. We'll probably be walking to Darling Harbour from there, going to the Rocks, Sydney Opera House, Hyde Park, Botanical Gardens, shopping areas, possibly out to the fish market and then out to Bondi for the day and out to Taronga Zoo on another day, all of this over 5 days!

Mentioned in this post
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,582 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
The Rocks
The Rocks
7,713 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Opera House
Sydney Opera House
19,632 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
1,362 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Bondi
Bondi
Greater Sydney, Australia
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,908 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney- My Multi Pass

You don't need to book a taxi with a child seat. Just ask person overseeing the taxi queue.

It depends how much you are going to walk and use the free bus. It costs around $5 for a return from Central/Town Hall to the Quay on the train, a return on the tram to the Fish Markets is $6, and a return to Taronga from the Quay is $14.40 (however, if you buy a combined ferry/zoo entry ticket, you save $5 on zoo admission, making the effective cost just under $10).

A MyMulti-2 will cost you $52.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Town Hall
Sydney Town Hall
308 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,807 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Paddington Markets
Paddington Markets
252 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney- My Multi Pass

While, of course, it's your choice the little one to ride in an approved car seat, you should know it isn't a legal requirement for children to be restrained in a cab the same as in a private vehicle.

As long as your toddler is in the back seat and has their own seatbelt, that meets the legal requirements.

If you are going to ask for a cab with a car seat, I would strongly recommend you come prepared with some sort of piece of plastic or fabric to put between child and seat. I certainly wouldn't want any child of mine sitting on some of those child seats I've seen in cabs - they are often downright filthy - and that's the 'dirt' you can see.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney- My Multi Pass

I think you will find that a child aged up to 4yo must be properly restrained in an approved devise.

"Children from 12 months up to 4 years must be in an approved forward facing

child restraint. Children under 4 years must not be in the front row of a vehicle

with 2 or more rows of seats."...page 81 Road Users Handbook.

Sydney
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney- My Multi Pass

One quick note on the free bus. I wouldn't recommend it if you have a stroller or even with a small child if you're travelling any time soon. I see the bus pass me at the moment and it is starting to look like those trains in India that are so full, people sit on the roof!

A few notes to help you with the maths of whether a pass is worth it based on what you plan on doing:

Bondi Beach $9.20 return (Included in MyMulti 1, 2 or 3)

Taronga Zoo $11.60 return (Included in MyMulti 2 or 3)

Fish Market $6 return (Included in MyMulti 1, 2 or 3)

Bus along George St $2.20 single (Included in MyMulti 1, 2 or 3)

Train within City Centre $3.60 single (Included in MyMulti 1, 2 or 3)

By my calculations you'd have to do 7-10 bus or train trips to make a MyMulti 2 ($52) worth while. As mentioned before there is also the convenience of not having to buy individual tickets each time particularly as you have to buy a ticket before you get on the buses in the city centre between 7am and 7pm during the week.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Bondi Beach
Bondi Beach
5,784 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,908 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Sydney Fish Market
Sydney Fish Market
1,875 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Auckland
Level Contributor
47 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney- My Multi Pass

Thank you Imfreetours that's really helpful. It would be really helpful with the prepaid buses etc but I guess we can decide when we get there, we don't have any set plans so we do have the time to walk if the free bus is crowded. I guess we'll just wait till we get there on the Monday and decide what might be easiest.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
637 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney- My Multi Pass

Hi

Do we need to pay the $12.30 when we travel back to the airport?