We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outing ideas for severly disabled

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Outing ideas for severly disabled

Hi my husband's family and I are trying to think of an outing for my Father-in-Law as a Christmas present. He is early 80s but has had a severe stroke, confined to a wheelchair and completely dependent on his wife and carers in all aspects of his life.

Can anyone suggest somewhere we can take he and my Mother-in-Law (she is his main carer and fit and well).

It doesn't necessarily need to be right in the heart of Sydney, it can be outside of the CBD, but needs to be somewhere easy to get around (fairly flat terrain) with a wheelchair which the guys take turns to push (he is quite heavy) Last year we took them to a restaurant in Darling Harbour via the Rivercat which was nice but looking for something a little different this year just as a change.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outing ideas for severly disabled

It is hard to know the kind of thing you are after, but I thought I'd just mention the Minnamurra Rainforest as something a little different, that has an experience that is often difficult to get to for someone wheelchair bound.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outing ideas for severly disabled

Again not sure what you exactly want but some suggestions:

Balmoral Beach has a walkway beside the beach plus several options to eat at (also sure there there will be disabled parking). Manly Beach would be similar although more crowded and a longer walk.

Drive into Bradleys Head for the views of the harbour (there is a disabled parking spot) - short flat walk along the new Navy memorial walk. No eating places (could have a picnic) so maybe a bit limited.

3. Re: Outing ideas for severly disabled

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, December 08, 2013
4. Re: Outing ideas for severly disabled

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:06 pm, December 08, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,553 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outing ideas for severly disabled

There's the Bella Vista at North Head which has amazing views over Sydney Harbour. Disabled parking and wheelchair access. If it's a nice warm and windless day you can sit out of the deck. There's also the wheelchair accessible Australia Memorial Walk.

Balmoral is a great idea but avoid weekends as even the disabled car parking is usually unavailable. Bathers Pavilion has ramp access as does the cafe at the other end of the beach.

Gunners Barracks at Middle Head has disabled parking right down by the restaurant and there is ramp access to the restaurant. Fabulous spot for lunch with spectacular views towards the Opera House.

The Berowra Waters Fish Cafe is accessible but you need to get there early on a weekend to get a table. It's casual fish and chips. A nice flat walk around the waters edge is suitable for a wheelchair.

Watsons Bay can be good with a nice walk along the water. There is a special wheelchair kept there for disabled persons to be wheeled into the water down a purpose built ramp if they want to go for a dip at the small enclosed pool area just to the south of the ferry wharf. An MLAK key will open up the storage unit.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outing ideas for severly disabled

Hi all

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes totally agree about Gunners Barracks as our daughter and our son in law just got married there last week. It was perfect for a disabled person with the disabled parking right at the door and the ramp was very helpful.

We are thinking maybe Watson's Bay might be a good option. With Doyle's right on the water, we could just park ourselves there and enjoy the food and the views.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,553 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outing ideas for severly disabled

Only problem with Doyles is that last time I was there the only disabled toilet is in the hotel just inside the entrance so you have to push the wheelchair up the hill to the front entrance of the hotel to access it. You will also need two able bodied people people there as there are two doors to navigate, both of which open inwards.

They lost me on the occasion that I asked at the bar 'Where is the disabled toilet' and the answer I got started with 'Go up those stairs and turn right'.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
655 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outing ideas for severly disabled

Thanks for the heads up about the toilets. That could be a major issue. I wonder how many other people get caught out.

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
201 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outing ideas for severly disabled

A little further afield - the Blue Mountains has accessible "bushwalks". One at the Katoomba Cascades to the Cliff View Lookout, and then other at Govett's Leap - the Fairfax walk from the NPWS centre to the cliff edge. Sceniworld is accessible for both the Skyway and the Cableway and they have accessible toilets. Driving around you can see features such as the Megalong Valley from the Cahill's Lookout area withour getting out of the car - but it may take a little backwards and forwards to see past the scrub on the side of the road.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outing ideas for severly disabled

The Watsons Bay Hotel might work for you. It's under new ownership ( probably about a year ago) & has been spruced up into a very pleasant casual spot.

I'm pretty sure there are toilets on the ground floor (perhaps give them a call to check if there's a wheelchair accessible one).

The other spot that might work there is the Doyle's take away / eat in place on the Wharf. There's a dining room behind the ordering/ collection counter, and some tables on a terrace beside it, for use of patrons. There are toilets on the ground floor there. Again, perhaps just check for door width etc.

Manly is a good option, too. The walkway from Queenscliff to Shelly Beach is wide & flat, lots of restaurants. I don't know for sure, but think I have seen disabled loo at the surf club.

Still on the northern beaches, Collaroy has well paved path along the beach and parts of the park off Anzac Avenue ( whose name I have forgotten). There are free wheelchairs that csn be used in the to access the rock pool and a ramp and rails, if your father in law would like a dip.

The surf club has wheelchair accessible loos, up a gentle slope.

The Collaroy Beach Club ( ex-services club) has a lift to the upper level which has a casual restaurant and lovely deck overlooking the beach.

Long Reef Golf Club would work too, brilliant location, ground level access. They welcome visitors provided you live more than 5kms ( I think) away. Same for the Beach Club. Membership there is ridiculously cheap though - about $10 a year, I think.

There are a number of cafes along Pittwater road, which have outdoor tables and are on ground level.

Ditto most of that for Dee Why.

Dee Why has a larger picnic area and more restaurants. Not sure about the surf club toilets.

What about Cockatoo Island? I saw a man in a wheelchair there a few weeks ago. It's an interesting place, nice river cat / ferry trip & I know they have wheelie friendly loos.

Someone was doing a blog about wheelchair accessible places in Sydney. If I can get my brain into gear & find it, I'll post it for you.