We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just to say a big thank you :)

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
54 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Just to say a big thank you :)

I love reading these forums, some poor sod posts a question that is important to them then some local experts eats them alive telling them to research! I recently posted such a 'stupid' question but was spared the wrath and got some really helpful replies. We are now going as suggested to Sydney, Alice Springs and the Barrier Reef. I just wanted to thank everybody for their assistance. And for those who also recklessly book flights to a random place and have no idea where to start planning, go into a travel agent, get a brochure, see where the tour operators go, then get online and do it yourself for a fraction of the cost. Oh, and make sure you post a 'stupid' question just to keep me entertained!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
714 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just to say a big thank you :)

Haha, I would call that a backhanded compliment! Have to agree that I have observed that Destination Experts (not just Sydney) get a bit grumpy at times. Must be all the stupid questions they have to answer! Glad you had a good trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,943 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just to say a big thank you :)

Hi benny,

Usually when we send people off to research it is because we really can't give them an answer without a bit more info.

I'm sure you understand with your planning that Australia and the destinations within are extremely diverse.

Your tip about grabbing the brochures is a good one, don't forget many tour companies etc also now have online versions so you can save yourself the hassle of paper if you want.

I did see your thread and I didn't reply, no point in it if you are already getting good advice.

We usually get grumpiest when people ask a question, we reply and then they say no that's not what I want to do :)

We also get grumpy when people reply without reading the whole thread or suddenly arrive on the forum and post prolifically with no real understanding of the places they are commenting on.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just to say a big thank you :)

I understand exactly what you are saying benny. I have been scared to ask questions on some of the forums, just read all the other posts and take my chances.

I would tell you a story but I will probably get slammed....

not from this forum, most of the DEs here are relatively nice......

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just to say a big thank you :)

Gee I hope it wasn't me! I recall asking a stupid question on the Greece forum some years ago (it was stupid) igot some wrath and ended up going to Italy instead. As a DE I think if you can't answer then don't answer. Although lots if people don't put enough detail in their questions such as budget, time frames and likes. Lou darwin

5. Re: Just to say a big thank you :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:11 pm, November 02, 2013
Oz
Level Contributor
12,122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just to say a big thank you :)

Hi,

Being over qualified as a grumpy old f@rt I find the most annoying thing is posters asking what they should do or see without providing some basic information such as, stating what their interests are, what's on their "bucket list" and some idea of their budget for the trip.

I'm happy to help and share my knowledge but I don't read minds.

Cheers,

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,325 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just to say a big thank you :)

This "thank you" seems to be an entirely back-handed compliment - so I'll take the bait.

A poster who makes their intentions clear, who displays some evidence of prior research and who asks SPECIFIC questions always gets a good answer.

A poster who expects volunteers to plan their trip in minute detail - without any effort on their own part - will get far less.

Bennybex's urgent question about a trip next year is here: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k6…

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,795 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just to say a big thank you :)

Spot on Luigi ..

I particularly love the ones who think TA stands for Travel Agent and that there is some little minion waiting with baited breath to plan their holiday for them.

My OH's standard response is "give me your money and I'll send you the photos of your holiday if you are too lazy to plan it yourself"

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
714 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just to say a big thank you :)

My other observation would be that destination experts don't like it when the poster doesn't take their advice, or pursues an issue when the DE feels it has been adequately answered. The poster has a point IMHO. BTW not just Sydney but across TA forums.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,746 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just to say a big thank you :)

I believe the mantra here is "Help us help you", not "Let us serve you" and that people often forget we are volunteers, not paid consultants.