We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which zoo should I go--Taronga Zoo or Australian Reptile Par

San Francisco
Level Contributor
71 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Which zoo should I go--Taronga Zoo or Australian Reptile Par

I have 2 teen boys. They love crocodiles, snakes etc. Which zoo would you recommend? I would prefer to just go to one zoo from budget point of view.

Is it possible to go to Australian Reptile Park using bus/train? I plan to buy that multi3 Pass. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,136 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which zoo should I go--Taronga Zoo or Australian Reptile Par

You could get to the ARP by train but then would need to get a taxi.

Another (very good option) is Featherdale - train to Blacktown then 10 mins on bus

http://www.featherdale.com.au/

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g580468…

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which zoo should I go--Taronga Zoo or Australian Reptile Par

The reptile park advertises itself as a "hands on" zoo which Taronga is not ... however as an experience I would choose Taronga, it's much bigger and of course with many more animals and shows to see. The other factor is it's easier and quicker to get to (if staying in the city) and has great city/harbor views.

It's possible your boys would love both ... why not let them do the research and decide?

Carlingford...
Level Contributor
7 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which zoo should I go--Taronga Zoo or Australian Reptile Par

The Taronga Zoo is a modern zoo a ferry ride from the downtown park of Sydney (known locally as the CBD). It also has the added benefit of a great view over Sydney Harbour.

That would be my preference.

http://taronga.org.au/taronga-zoo

Oz
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which zoo should I go--Taronga Zoo or Australian Reptile Par

Hi,

Is Sydney your only destination in Oz? If so I agree with the others a ferry ride and Taronga would be your best bet.

If you are travelling the Western Plains Zoo/Zoofari Lodge stay at Dubbo is amazing and there is always Steve Irwins "Australia Zoo" on the Sunshine Coast if you get my point.

Don't forget the sunscreen!

Cheers,

Edited: 9:44 pm, September 18, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,368 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which zoo should I go--Taronga Zoo or Australian Reptile Par

If you don't have a car then forget about ARP. It's a good little place but the logistics aren't good for getting there without a car. Unless you want to train it (it's a very scenic trip up and back) but you would have to get a taxi from Gosford train station then back to the station. I think the hassle would be a let-down.

Taronga is a better alternative. Great views from there too of the city skyline and harbour.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
71 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which zoo should I go--Taronga Zoo or Australian Reptile Par

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess we should go to Taronga Zoo. Yes, I will ask the boys to do the some research on websites, but sometimes I feel websites are more cheating than the real thing. Last time, we went to cancun and decided between Xcaret and The zipline park. Because Xcaret has a better website show, we chose that park but regretted of going there. Due to budget, we can only choose 1 park. And that one was a disappointment. I would rather choose word of mouth than website. In this case, most of you point out the "travel" part which is a major factor for me to choose. But if the kids decide on the ARP, I hope it will be better than the Florida's reptile park (we haven't been there but will go eventually).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
71 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which zoo should I go--Taronga Zoo or Australian Reptile Par

I do have one more question. I read this one the zoo webpage: ferry transport to the Zoo and the Sky Safari.

Will the multi3 pass include this ferry to zoo from city? What is the sky safari? Is it another park? Thanks.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which zoo should I go--Taronga Zoo or Australian Reptile Par

Sky safari is an aerial cabin ride that takes you up or down the hill from near the ferry wharf to up near the top entrance of the zoo. In doing so it travels over the zoo and you can look down on the animals. Oh, and enjoy great views over the harbour as well.

It's hard to say what is going to be your best opportunity to experience crocs without knowing where else in Australia you're going. We were at Taronga a couple of weeks ago and didn't see any Salties there. Only some alligators and a smaller species of similar beast with a longer snout. Couldn't see a name on them anywhere but they might have been freshwater crocodiles or something very similar. If you're heading up to the tropics somewhere a visit to a croc farm would be worth doing.

Edited: 7:50 pm, September 19, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which zoo should I go--Taronga Zoo or Australian Reptile Par

I feel so stupid ... totally forgot about the little zoo at Darling Harbor in the city ... they have a croc. Actually the pass for the few attractions is pretty good value.

wildlifesydney.com.au/explore/…

10. Re: Which zoo should I go--Taronga Zoo or Australian Reptile Par

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 21, 2014