We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Pilu open on Christmas Day?

Greater London...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is Pilu open on Christmas Day?

There are 17 of us (11 adults, 6 kids) in Freshwater for Christmas 2013 and we wondered, to save cooking on the day, about eating out. Pilu has been mentioned but their website doesn't indicate whether or not they open for Christmas lunch.

I know I can email the restaurant & ask, but posing the question here too will hopefully get me some local opinion about value for money. I already know they do great food at a lovely location, I believe, within sight/with views of the beach.

Thanks very much in advance.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Pilu open on Christmas Day?

You would be best to email them although it is possible they may not have decided just yet for this year.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,932 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Pilu open on Christmas Day?

I second that suggestion by Mia.

Previous years schedule and menu maybe different from what they are doing this year - if at all.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Pilu open on Christmas Day?

Yes, they are open. They have 2 sittings - 11:30 and 2.45. It's $200 pp for the set menu.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Pilu open on Christmas Day?

TVM for the quick responses. As I thought, a bit pricey, but no less than I'd expect for this SMH 2 hats restaurant on Christmas Day.

Maybe we'll stick to a home BBQ - 11 adults should make light work of all the prep work - or we might destroy my niece's kitchen! As long as we don't let the men near the BBQ, we shouldn't get anything burnt. ;-)

Cheers.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,932 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Pilu open on Christmas Day?

Oi easy with the men's BBQ domain. We are the self appointed masters of the "Tongs".

For my money, use the $200 a head to hit the Fish Markets, and maybe Simon Johnson's the day before and stock up on goodies.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Pilu open on Christmas Day?

In Oz maybe, but not in England. Here I've rarely had a BBQ not burnt by a bloke, particularly if they refused supervision from their better half. We don't get good enough weather here often enough for them to get much practise in. Only 3 guys I know are decent cooks.

TVM for the tip about where to buy fish & other provisions. My niece may already know those places, but I'll pass them on. It'll be strange eating fish instead of turkey or beef for Xmas dinner, & not freezing when we set foot outside. In fact I may die in the heat, but I'll die happy having realised a dream of travelling down under.

Cheers.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Pilu open on Christmas Day?

Couldn't agree more KVE! I had the same thought when I called them.

My immediate response was that $1200 (there will be 6 of us) buys a heck of a lot of seafood and bubbles and perhaps even a green leaf or two.

Now we're thinking of a picnic down on Cremorne Point or Little Sirius Cove.

If you like the location of Pilu you could set up your picnic on Freshwater beach. Nice grassy spots as well as right on the beach.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,932 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Pilu open on Christmas Day?

With you totally Eva, and they've got 11 adults. That's a case of Bollinger, all the seafood you can eat and one crazy shopping at Fourth Village.

Picnic at Cremorne Point - now that's perfection.

OP - you guys have the Ashes, the Lions Trophy, so it's only fair the blokes are bad at something.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Pilu open on Christmas Day?

We planned a picnic last year-the wettest for 70 years...wound up at our own dining table. food was good though;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,932 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Pilu open on Christmas Day?

Yes it can happen sometimes. But occasionally those unplanned days can turn out for the better. It's all about the food and company in my books.