We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best prepaid sim pack with max data usage

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Best prepaid sim pack with max data usage

Hi guys, based on current packages can you recommend which prepaid simcard pack is best for a week's usage? I am using iphone5 and preferably main usage for whatsapp (data messaging) and web search. What is the estimated start up amount I will need to pay for this? Thanks in advance.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best prepaid sim pack with max data usage

Hi,

Can look at Optus $2days rate plan

https:/…prepaidoffers

Though, if you wish to have 4G LTE,then their Prepaid Social rate plan.

Depending when you are going, they might still have this:-

https:/…Optus-29.95-CMBSimPP

In SYD airport, Optus has a store, and just across it,is another store-Vodafone.

Personally I prefer Optus as it allows me to reload with my foreign credit card and also via PayPal,and also at this moment Vodafone does not have prepaid 4G LTE. Vodafone also do not allow recharge via overseas credit cards.

Another operator is Telstra,but they do not have store at Sydney international terminal- if that is where you are intending to get your sim pack.

based on your preference criteria, will advise just go for Optus $2days rate plan.

Edited: 10:12 pm, August 27, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best prepaid sim pack with max data usage

Yes, thanks for the information on top up based on foreign credit cards. This is probably very useful for us tourist. Appreciate the details! :)

Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best prepaid sim pack with max data usage

I tried to buy a sim for my iPhone 5 with Vodafone (same provider as mine in the UK) but when the sim was put in it said the phone was locked to the UK, I thought that as it was the same network it would be fine, wish i had called voda before leaving the UK and sorting it out.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best prepaid sim pack with max data usage

I would not go with Vodafone while in Australia. I had used Vodafone without a single issue while I was living there in 2009/2010 but on a recent return for a business trip last month, I got a new Vodafone prepaid sim and was unable to use the data that came with the sim. Could not connect at all - I mentioned this to my seatmates on the flight back to Canada and they said Vodafone has been having data connectivity issues for a while now.

Best to go with one of the other carriers, IMO :) I know I'll be doing that whenever I head back!

~ martinigoddess

Edited: 9:01 am, August 28, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best prepaid sim pack with max data usage

I bought a $2 Telstra SIM card for my phone. I took out their $30 Pre-Paid Cap Encore(telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/…) which gave me phonecalls/texts/data and did me fine for my 2 weeks in Australia. I did it online and paid for it with PayPal. While I got the calls/texts straight away, it was a few hours before I was able to use the internet on my phone but other than that slight delay it was fine and no hassles.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
635 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best prepaid sim pack with max data usage

Optus or Telstra. I would stick with Optus.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best prepaid sim pack with max data usage

Hi,

re post #5, yep, sometimes it takes a while(though few hours-is just too long),for the SIM IMEI registered, then for the settings to be send to your phone,for the APN for mobile data.

Re post #3- even though your UK network provider is Vodafone, and since your phone is locked, getting a Australia Vodafone SIM will not allow you to use the phone,as your phone is locked to a specified network,viz Vodafone UK.

Re post #4. in year 2010 at the last quarter, that was when Vodafail website was created arising from the Vodafone Australia network beginning to exhibit severe problems regarding call quality, voicemail, SMS reliability and data speeds.

From SMH archive:-

smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/vodafo…

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best prepaid sim pack with max data usage

Thanks mKiaratravel! Very interesting read - that's exactly what my seatmates on the plane were talking about!

I had no issues with Vodafone initially, but I left Australia in July 2010 (and didn't have a smartphone at that time, so no worries over data connectivity). That's why I went back to them when I returned last month - now I know, next time, I'll be going with another carrier! :)

~ martinigoddess

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best prepaid sim pack with max data usage

Best option is AUD$2 daily plan for unlimited usage of data within Sydney.

You have to buy sim pack for AUD$2 and top up value of AUD$10 and activate the card + choosing the plan initially. Complicated activation and plan selection process though.

Thanks all. Enjoyed my stay in Sydney.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best prepaid sim pack with max data usage

Visiting sydney again, and the latest prepaid card with data for Optus is AUD2 per day for 500mb data instead of unlimited. 500mb per day is generally sufficient for general whatsapp messaging, twitter, Facebook and google, but not really for streaming of videos etc. Just to provide an update :)