We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About vegetables

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong kong
8 posts
Save Topic
About vegetables

This question may be sound silly. But I need to know that is vegetable transport is allowed in Sydney by flight through check in baggage? I am planning to bring some veg in my trip to Sydney , Melbourne, Gold cost. Will immigration allow us to bring or restricted? If restricted what other food also is restricted?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,467 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: About vegetables

We have been isolated for 1000000s of years, and by the time we were discovered they understood the implications

----------------------------------------

An interesting re write of history.

How do you explain cane toads, rabbits, mice, foxes, scotch thistle and riverina blue bell (Patterson's curse) to name a few.

Also, I believe the original people to discover Australia bought the Dingoes with them.

However, I do realise the point you were trying to make. It is to late for Hong Kong but not for Australia, so long as the Quarantine service are vigilant at the border.

For the original poster, Border Security is one of my favourite shows. It is a programme about quarantine and immigration at Australian ports and airports. Every episode shows multiple people being busted for not declaring food.

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: About vegetables

hairess09, I don't think it's a problem to bring in commercial (processed) baby food. Even dried fruit and veg make it through. You just can't bring fresh food in. Just declare any food you have in your luggage and at worst, they'll be confiscated. You'll be able to find plenty of baby food in pouches at the supermarket, although you might have to travel out of the city centre to get more variety. I've never looked in the supermarkets in the city for baby food so I can't tell you what they stock, perhaps someone else can help. Depending on how long you're staying, you might bring a few pouches for the flight and the first few days, until you can restock.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,231 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: About vegetables

I think you'll find, ozannie, that straight out dried fruit and veg do not make it through. I have had a number of commercially produced vegetable type food items which were sent to me by overseas friends confiscated by AQIS. It depends on the level of precessing.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: About vegetables

If ever in doubt, just declare everything. You won't get in trouble for declaring your uncertain food products etc (unless they're illegal of course)

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: About vegetables

What food items were sent YorkFoodie? I've brought all sorts of foods home from overseas myself, as have friends and relatives, including dried mushrooms and anchovies, and many not even in commercial packaging. Perhaps the key is to make sure they are desiccated rather than semi-dry, and definitely no seeds. Or perhaps quarantine is stricter over in WA? Anyway, as Peter says, just declare everything and you won't get in trouble.

Pearl City, Hawaii
Level Contributor
9 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: About vegetables

I am shocked about what some of these people are posting. True, you can't bring vegetables/fruits into Australia as a general rule, but you can definitely bring food into the country. I carried and declared two jars of unopened peanut butter on my recent trip into the Sydney form Los Angeles. Once I declared the items, the customs control folks asked to see the jars for identification purposes, but didn't even check to see if the jars had been opened. Things that are properly treated (i.e. processed with preservatives and appropriately canned and/or bottled should cause you no problem. As others have mentioned, however, take care to DECLARE EVERYTHING!

Note, you can get a lot of great food in Australia, and it is very diverse. That said, if you're looking for West Indian/Caribbean or West African food, don't be expected to be blown away. The most "popular" African restaurant in Sydney (African Feeling) is nothing special and is certainly not authentic. I think that due to the lack of Africans in Sydney in large numbers (at least with people from sub-Saharan Africa), there are few people knowledgeable of what the food should taste like who can check these restaurants for authenticity. As a result, many Sydney residents and others unfamiliar with the cuisines of some areas don't know any better. And because there are so few West African/Caribbean restaurants in Sydney/Australia, the competition for authentic food from these regions is scarce, which further adds to problems with authenticity.

27. Re: About vegetables

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 14, 2014