We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIP Claudes

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
RIP Claudes

many a good night had here.....but it has done its time.

goodfood.com.au/good-food/…

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIP Claudes

Sad - but you're right - not what people are looking for these days.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIP Claudes

Sorry to hear that Lien, sad to see a venue with lots of good memories go.

>>the Sydney Opera House wants a bistro to replace Guillaume at Bennelong when it closes at the end of the year<<

Is that the one under the sail? Seriously? I don't get it. You hear about some restaurants being booked out months in advance so there is a demand for something a bit special, and a location like the Opera House would seem to demand a special restaurant? Isn't there already a bistro as well elsewhere in the building?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,409 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIP Claudes

I too agree its sad when any of a city's iconic dining venue closes down.

Once upon a time, the best of the restaurants used to be around for decades, but not only has the consumers demands/expectations have changed, the cyclic patterns have become shorter, and even then, the very best of them starts to thin much much quicker these days. Restaurants only stay 'flavour of the month' for so long, before something new comes along. It seems being progressive with the menu simply isn't enough.

That scenario with the Bennelong has been much discussed. Media have stated that Guillaume and the board don't see eye to eye - which translates to - "not enough volume and we want something more transient so attract more functions, and casual diners". The location remains iconic but finance is even more iconic. Many still want fine dining, but it's a narrower spectrum now, than those wishing for mere upmarket. It's a fine balance between the 'visions' of the chefs and the reality of business parameters. Recent years seems to indicate this balance hasn't been found, and names like Justin North and Dietmar Sawyere spring to mind.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,832 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RIP Claudes

I think part of the reason is that restaurants really need to stay at the absolute top of their game all the time. Diners are becoming much more sophisticated, more with educated palettes and more demanding. If a place slips even a little patrons will quickly vote with their feet. When you pay top prices, you expect top quality 100% of the time.

Guillaume's is a case in point. We were there recently and found the service Indifferent, the food good but not outstanding and the only spectacular part of the meal was the bill.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,409 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIP Claudes

>>>I think part of the reason is that restaurants really need to stay at the absolute top of their game all the time. Diners are becoming much more sophisticated, more with educated palettes and more demanding. If a place slips even a little patrons will quickly vote with their feet<<<

Absolutely spot on Eva.

Even having good food and reputation isn't enough these days, it's almost like a restaurants needs to be breaking new ground every couple of years to stay on top.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIP Claudes

I think there is also the need by many diners to "Tick Off" venues so no return custom no matter how good the meal.

I know a friend of mine who said Quay was the best meal she'd ever had and I asked if they would return and her reply was, no, been there done that. I don't go back to any of those places.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,949 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RIP Claudes

I agree G/W - especially about the high 5 * restaurants once you been why bother spending the BIg $$$ again.

Pity about Claude's ... but its a bit old fashioned now compared to other excellent middle of the road restaurants which are reasonably priced.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,409 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RIP Claudes

>>>I think there is also the need by many diners to "Tick Off" venues so no return custom no matter how good the meal<<<

Very good point GW.

That has some impact on the longevity of a venue indeed, and stresses the need for constant evolvement.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RIP Claudes

> once you been why bother spending the BIg $$$ again.<<

Because the menu evolves and it isn;t about saying I've been to XXX

But too many people are obsessed by ticking off rather than the quality of what they get..which is why so many places once they get a reputation give s... all so it's catch 22

Great for a few months, ordinary while trading on reputation, close the doors and reinvent

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RIP Claudes

>> once you been why bother spending the BIg $$$ again.<<

>>Because the menu evolves and it isn;t about saying I've been to XXX<<

Because the food and ambience make for a lovely night out. I like to try new dishes at my favourite places but I also love to have previous favourites too, sometimes it's tough to choose, once we shared an extra dessert because we were so keen to try it but didn't want to miss out on our usual favourite.