We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bass and Flinders Whale Watching

mdj
columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bass and Flinders Whale Watching

Has anyone gone on their whale watch tour? They say we will see whales in August.

All comments are welcomed

Ocean Extreme
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Boat Tours
Oz Whale Watching
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Whale Watching Sydney
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Go Whale Watching Sydney
Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Bass and Flinders Whale Watching

Prodive have a fast boat that takes you from Rose Bay Wharf through Sydney heads and out into open water. The good thing about their boat is that it's fast, this means there's not mucking around or time wasting on getting out to the Whales and back again, you can utilise more time actually watching the whale. half the fun is getting out there on the fast boat. Heading out of Sydney heads is something in itself. Prodive get reports regarding where the whales are so if there's whales spotted down south, they'll head down there, or the same if there spotted further north.

I've been on a couple of different whale watching and I found Prodive's boat the most fun and vaue for money because we spent more time actually whale watching as apposed to heading out there and back.

sydney
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Bass and Flinders Whale Watching

hi, first off to declare my interest, I represent Bass & Flinders whale watching so obviously i thinks its pretty good:).

August has been ,so far, a great month for whales, the last 2 weeks have seen more muggings (the whales coming close to the boat ) than in the last 3 months. (see images and sightings www.whalewatchingsydney.net/sightings.php)

Traditionally August has been a slow month for whales which is why some of the smaller slower boats don't run, but this year we have been blessed by the numbers this early on in the southern migration.

The whales we are seeing now are the first of the southern migration humpbacks, with a few northern ones now and again, there are at least 6 to 10 passing per day as of this week. We generally only watch one or 2 pods so maybe 2 to 5 whales on any one trip, and if it is an active, breaching etc.. whale we may watch just one whale.

we have missed seeing whales on 2 out of our last 120+ trips this year and no misses in August.

Sydney
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Bass and Flinders Whale Watching

Hey mdj,

I did this tour a few weeks ago (August 11th). It was fantastic. I never thought of seeing whales off my own coast. I have traveled to New Zealand and hawaii to see whales previously and now I find that I only had to go to Darling Harbour and hop on a boat there. We saw about 3 whales and they were very active jumping out of the water and slapping their tails. We also had Dolphins playing around the boat.

I would highly recommend whale watching to anyone. It is an amazing experience to be so close to such magnificent creatures. I will definitely go on this cruise again and take my family.

The day we went out was quite sunny and not too rough but I did feel a little queasy. There were a few people who were sick (but I think they were mainly the ones eating all the free biscuits!) I would recommend not eating too much before the trip if you're likely to get sick.