We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teenager in Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Teenager in Sydney

Hi,

I'm 16 and visiting Sydney by myself in 2 weeks. I'm going to be there for 3 weeks, and I'm staying with friends but will be out by myself during the day. I've been to Sydney a couple of times before, but I've never been by myself. Does anyone have any ideas about activities or things for me to do while my friends are at school during the week? Also I'm flying Cathay Pacific, so if anyone has any tips for the long flight, or getting upgraded? Thanks

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,209 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teenager in Sydney

no chance of an upgrade Celeste - those go to gold level frequent fliers etc look on the air travel forum for tips on travelling long haul tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_T…

look in the things to do tab at the top. It is a bit hard to suggest things becuse apart from your age we know nothing else about you - likes, dislikes etc.

Read your way through the relevant top questions (upper right) and pick the things that interest you

- the search box directly above your post is also useful for locating more info on things - use it like a google search.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teenager in Sydney

What part of Sydney are you staying in as it helps with ideas ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teenager in Sydney

tip for the flight.

Sleep on the leg into Sydney if it has an early morning arrival.

Upgrade, no chance as it would give you lounge access and you can't drink or enter unaccompanied

things to do...

Bridge climb,

Jet boat,

Luna park?

Being alone it's hard to say

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teenager in Sydney

Sydney has a lot of wonderful museums and art galleries. If you haven't already, you might want to visit the Australian Museum (great fossils and insects) or the Museum of Sydney (which also puts you near Circular Quay for a ferry ride somewhere (see below)). On the art side, the AGNSW has a lovely collection, particularly the Asian galleries, and you can go there in the morning and then wander through the Botanic Gardens to the Opera House for lunch. The Museum of Contemporary Art has some wonderful stuff, and great views from the cafe, where no one will mind you loitering over a coffee for a couple of hours. There are usually high school groups visiting most of those during the day, so you might make some new friends as well.

You might also want to go on some ferry rides. I particularly like the jetcat to Paramatta - not so much for Parramatta, but the views from the cat are great, particularly if you sit outside at the front as you come back into Sydney. It's my favorite view of the Opera House and the Bridge.

Travelling in Economy to Australia on your own can be a bit challenging. Be nice to the hosties, watch lots of movies, try to get some sleep, and don't plan too much for your first day but stay awake as long as you can. Choose your seat carefully. On the aisle allows you to get out easily, but you have your seatmates crawling over you to get out. A window seat lets you create your own little space, but once everyone is asleep it's a pain to get out of.

Did I mention being nice to the hosties? A friendly stewardess can make all the difference to a pleasant flight.

Are you flying straight through or stopping a night in Asia on your way?

Have a great trip!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,521 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teenager in Sydney

Would you think I was totally stupid if I suggested that you get you friend (or their parents) to ask if you could accompany them to school for a couple of days? Having been in schools for a long time I can assure you its something that happens regularly and is usually welcomed by the school. You might find it interesting to see the differences in school systems and it will certainly be an opportunity to meet new people. Fridays are always a good day when kids are planning their weekends. You might get some good invites and make some new friends. Doing exciting stuff on your own is never as much fun as doing ordinary stuff with fun friends.

Have an awesome time.

London
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Teenager in Sydney

I think Eva's school idea is great. I did this many years ago as a teenager when my German cousin came to stay with us in London and then when I visited her in Hannover and it was fun and interesting.

School is something you'll all have in common and can find something to talk about (favourite subjects/awful teachers etc).

Enjoy your trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Teenager in Sydney

Great suggestion Eva.

It will only work if it is a Private System high school.

The State system requires enrolment before students are allowed on the premises due to insurance issues. in this current day and age a Principal would be taking a big risk. I'm not sure how signing in as a visitor would go, might get away with it for a few hours. Enrollment requires a suitable Visa. Times have changed.

Sydney
Level Contributor
771 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Teenager in Sydney

YOu could go to Luna Park (althoughnot much fun by yourself), The zoo is always a good day out. Also the hop on hop off bus is a good starting point. The ferry around the harbour that includes Lavender Bay, Darling Harbour etc is a nice trip. Of course you can visit the famous Bondi Beach and shop in the city, Oxford St Paddington or Bondi Junction. The Jewish museum in Darlinghurst is a real eye opener along with THe Powerhouse museum and the normal museums in Sydney. You could do a day trip to The Blue Mountains. Lots of companies offer day trips. Let us know the area you will be staying in and a bit more about your interests.

Lisa

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,209 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Teenager in Sydney

GW .. I actually think if Celestes family approached the school their kids go to and asked if it was possible - many would probably be OK with the idea - rocking up would be a no-no but arranging before hand - certainly at my school - would usually be OK - depending on what else might be happening that day - it's certainly worth asking.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,521 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Teenager in Sydney

I 'm sure you are right Helen.

I had too many years to recall in various State School systems and these types of requests were commonplace. As long as it goes through the correct channels, the principal approves and the classroom teachers don't mind then there's usually no problem (unless it's exam time or some such other event)

In fact, many classroom teachers would see this as a good learning opportunity for the students in their class.