We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assistance requested - single female traveller (mature)

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach Island...
Level Contributor
76 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Assistance requested - single female traveller (mature)

Dear all, I will have two nights in Sydney (June 22 & 23). I am a mature female and obviously am concerned about personal safety/location etc. Additionally budget is an issue, and would not want a hostel. So I narrowed my choice to the Vive in North Sydney, right on the train line, looks like a lovely area to walk on monday morning prior to my flight home to the US, or even an extra ferry ride, plus it seems as though there are plenty of local restaurants to walk to for an evening meal. My other choice is the Park Regis, which is very centrally located and however does not enjoy consistently glowing reviews, but again, the location is very key. Can you experts please weigh in, I am decently well travelled, and if I were with my husband for this trip would be staying most likely at the Marriott, however, since I will be alone, I wanted to economize especially since I will be out and about seeing as many sights as possible, including the Featherdale Wildlife Park combined with the ferry ride back from Parramata (sp) into Sydney on the Sunday. Many thanks, I do appreciate all feedback..........

Sydney
Level Contributor
72 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assistance requested - single female traveller (mature)

Without knowing what price you are paying for the Vibe its hard to give you fair advice. However, I would definitely not choose to be staying there. It is actually in Milsons Point which as you say is right on the train line and Vibe is right at the station but despite that convenience being on your own I wouldn't recommend it. There is nothing happening in that area. At night time the streets are empty around The Vibe and I think you would be better off finding a hotel of similar price in the city. Getting home at night on the train is not always always easy especially if you are a woman on your own and I wouldn't recommend the train on weekend nights in Sydney. Ideally you would be better off where there is more happening from restaurants to people and you can walk to it all.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Assistance requested - single female traveller (mature)

Vibe North Sydney (actually, it's in Milsons Point) would probably be my pick. It's a more residential area and there are some great little cafes & bistros less than 5 minutes walk away, through the underpass in Broughton Street, Kirribilli. Fabulous views & good views from "Ripples" - 5 minutes walk towards the harbour from Vibe.

You can take a train or ferry to the city and if you're lucky, you might even get harbour views/glimpses from your room. Intra harbour & other ferries from here - and it's only a few minutes to Circular Quay.

Friends stayed at the Vibe for a week last year and were very happy there. You can also walk across the Harbour Bridge in 15-20 minutes (allowing photo stops!). Easy, flat walking and unbeatable views of the city.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the Park Regis. That area of town (Park Street) is quieter at night, but it's only a short walk, bus trip or taxi to lots of restaurants in East Sydney.

I guess it really boils down to your personal preference. Both locations are perfectly safe. As is the rest of Sydney. Just use the same common sense you would use at home - keep your wits about you & don't wander down darkened lanes at 3am!

The Park Regis is near Hyde Park and central in terms of transport. From there, you can easily walk down Macquarie Street, through the Domain to the Art Gallery of NSW, the Botanic Gardens & to Circular Quay; or take a bus.

You've researched well and know all the above. As a local who travells a lot solo, is in your age group & knows both areas - I'd take the Vibe. That's the type of accommodation & location I look for when I'm o/s. Close to the action but mixing more with locals than fellow tourists.

Edited: 9:19 pm, May 21, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assistance requested - single female traveller (mature)

I'm surprised you have not looked into the... http://www.yhotel.com.au/. the old YWCA near Hyde Park.

It's an actual hotel with women only floors. Plus it's just around the corner from the Park Regis.

Edited: 9:34 pm, May 21, 2013
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assistance requested - single female traveller (mature)

I grew up in Sydney and surprised that a post said nothing much happens here at night. Its not what I call an unsafe area.

I would stay here without a thought. There are restaurants down the road, and on other side of station.- lots of. You can get a ferry easily, walk over the bridge, or even a taxi is not a huge cost.

You may even be lucky and get the markets on the Saturday morning if the timing is right.

Long Beach Island...
Level Contributor
76 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Assistance requested - single female traveller (mature)

Dear all, many thanks for your time to respond. It is truly a dilemma for me, I want to see all I can in such a short time, and to experience a slightly more local feel, however safety is my number one. There is not much difference in cost per night, the Vibe (sorry for the previous spelling mistake) is approx $125 per night and the Park Regis is coming in around $105 so really the difference is not the consideration. Since daylight hours are shorter at that time of year, I would have my dinner and call it a night (around 9pm). I am not looking to stay out bar hopping etc, but don't want to be restricted to hotel dining if possible. Thus the reason for the questions...........truly appreciate the help.....regards......

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,395 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Assistance requested - single female traveller (mature)

I wouldn't describe the bottom end of Alfred Street, or Broughton Street as "dead" at night by any means. When we were there last week, the restaurants were buzzing and we had to park down near Luna Park & walk around to Garfish.

Edited: 1:45 am, May 22, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,263 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Assistance requested - single female traveller (mature)

I strongly agree with Bokhara on this, and given the choice between the two, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to stay at the Vibe North Sydney. It's a great suburban location without much compromise to proximity to the city, and personally much more pleasant surrounds than Park St at night. Kirribilli is delightful at night, has wonderful cafe and restaurants, without the yahoo crowds.

At the risk of being chastised by fans of the Park Regis, that property is like an apartment backpackers, and simply doesn't compare to the clean corporate feel of the Vibe North Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Assistance requested - single female traveller (mature)

Just note for the Vibe that most of the shops and restaurants (thai, Indian, fish, pizza, chinese) are on the other side of the rail station from the hotel ie in Broughton Street. The other side also has the stairs that allow you to walk across the Bridge to the Rocks area. The markets will be on the 22 June (located just across from the hotel).

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Assistance requested - single female traveller (mature)

I would definitely choose the Vibe, as it's in a pleasant area which I certainly feel safe walking around in at night, and I am probably somewhat similar to you. Not only is it handy to the station, there is also the ferry at the bottom of the road. You would easily be able to go over to Circular Quay or Darling Harbour if you wanted more choice in restaurants, but I think you'll find a reasonable selection in Kirribilli.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Assistance requested - single female traveller (mature)

Another vote for Vibe