We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive - 3D 2N Hunter Valley & Port Stephens

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Self Drive - 3D 2N Hunter Valley & Port Stephens

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Sydney in September and of my schedule, I managed to squeeze in about 3D2N to go out to Hunter Valley and Port Stephens.

On Day 01, I will be landing at Kingsford Smith at around 10.30am. The initial plan was...

Drive directly to Hunter Valley. Spend a night at Starline Alpacas Farmstay Resort - Broke (I love animals and I've never seen an alpaca in my life!). Go around Hunter and visit vineyards.

Day 02, do the cheese factory thing and then head to Port Stephens.

Day 03, do the touristy whale watching & sand dunes thing. Stay another night at Port Stephens and drive to DFO (Homebush) on Day 04 before we head into the city.

Problem now is that there's a minimum 2N stay at Starline Alpacas. I was wondering if I should change my plans. If you have any suggestions, which are the places I should go, I'm open to suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

Ocean Extreme
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Boat Tours
Oz Whale Watching
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Whale Watching Sydney
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Go Whale Watching Sydney
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Sightseeing Tours
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
408 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive - 3D 2N Hunter Valley & Port Stephens

Do you wish to stay 2 nights at Starline? If so, you can do the cheese factory on Day 1 (we spend <1/2 hr there) - it's not a big place. If you are into gardens, you may want to include Hunter Valley Gardens on Day 2. http://www.huntervalleygardens.com.au/.

Depending on your interests, there are so many things to do in and around Hunter Valley. http://www.winecountry.com.au/

Then depart early on Day 3 for Port Stephens.

Edited: 3:39 am, May 09, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive - 3D 2N Hunter Valley & Port Stephens

Thanks. Do you think I would need more time in HV or PS? I don't mind staying in HV for 2 night but I'm just worried that might mean time is a little tight for Port Stephens. Your view?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drive - 3D 2N Hunter Valley & Port Stephens

Why Port Stephens? Personally I'd spend your limited time in the Hunter

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drive - 3D 2N Hunter Valley & Port Stephens

We're thinking of going whale watching while we're at Port Stephens. Friends have also told us Oaks Pacific Blue Resort is pretty awesome.

Perhaps I should spend more time in Hunter. Besides cheese factory, what other activities would you recommend? How much time do you think people averagely spend in a vineyard and how many can we possibly cover say in a day?

Thanks!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Drive - 3D 2N Hunter Valley & Port Stephens

Your day 1 is too optimistic. If you are coming from singapore - you may still be tired.. You then need to pick your hire car, etc and get up to HV . It will be at least a 2.5 hour drive . You will only really have time for one winery maybe with a lunch stop. No harm in spending two nights.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self Drive - 3D 2N Hunter Valley & Port Stephens

I think you guys are right. Ok with 2 nights in mind, how many hours does it take for me to drive from HV to PS then?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self Drive - 3D 2N Hunter Valley & Port Stephens

Not long,perhaps an hour

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,717 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self Drive - 3D 2N Hunter Valley & Port Stephens

Took me about 1:20 from Cessnock to Nelson Bay in march.

See I'm a bit different I could do 2 nights at Port Stephens but only 1 night in HV unless you are heavily into wine.

You can easily base yourself in HV and day trip to PS.

Vineyards.. I find 3 in a day is enough for me esp if you are driving. 4 is a push.

If you want awesome food book into Margans for lunch.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self Drive - 3D 2N Hunter Valley & Port Stephens

I think GurusW may be right. Spend two nights at the Oaks and do a day trip to the Hunter Valley

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self Drive - 3D 2N Hunter Valley & Port Stephens

really if there is no interest in wine, then the HV 'attractions' are pretty thin on the ground.

the cheese factory, the olive oil factory, the chocolate factory plus the awful hunter valley gardens are just sideshows.

part of a day trip heading back to Sydney and stopping for a good lunch (yes, margan is a highlight) is probably the best. then take the old convict road from broke back to the freeway at calga (route 13) via wollombi

Edited: 5:56 am, May 09, 2013