We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will it snow in Cooma in late July, early August?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Will it snow in Cooma in late July, early August?

Hi all,

am thinking of driving to Cooma to experience snow fall as am not keen to go to those ski resorts for sking.

Will there b snowfall in Cooma?

Thanks.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will it snow in Cooma in late July, early August?

Can I ask why don't you want to go to the skifields? The most reliable accessible snow is where people go to ski, that's the way it is. If you don't want to ski, some areas are more for families, snowplay, toboganning, etc while other areas are more for serious skiers. Perhaps it is a matter of choosing the area that would suit your needs best. What exactly are your needs?

Edit: Tonight it feels like it could snow here lol! It *could* snow in a lot of places. It *could* snow in summer. Sometimes it does. But if you are going to make the effort of travelling somewhere for snow you would want a good expectation of there being snow, yes?

Edited: 5:04 am, May 06, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,358 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will it snow in Cooma in late July, early August?

It's possible but not guaranteed. Drive a bit further to the snow fields and you will definitely see snow.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,899 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will it snow in Cooma in late July, early August?

To be clear, Cooma is below the snowfields and is the major town in the area (the other being Jindabyne). You will need to travel further to Perisher or Thredbo to touch/see snow.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will it snow in Cooma in late July, early August?

It almost certainly won't snow but equally certainly it will frost and be very cold

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will it snow in Cooma in late July, early August?

i am actually travelling towards the opposite direction for this trip.

Sydney - bluemountains - hunter valley - port stephen - sydney

but I dont think that there would b snow so am trying to squeeze in 1-2 days to the nearest possible snow falling area for my child to have some fun.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will it snow in Cooma in late July, early August?

The snow areas are certainly not a 1 day detour from your itinerary. You might get lucky and have snow in the Blue Mountains but I would not count on it at all, it's a novelty, a bonus, not something to go there for. Why the interest in the Hunter Valley?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will it snow in Cooma in late July, early August?

If conditions are right it may snow on Barrington tops

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will it snow in Cooma in late July, early August?

Hi jj - I work in Cooma and live near Jindabyne. In over 20 years, I've only ever seen snow settle in Cooma twice........... and we get snow once or twice a year settle below the resort areas - so your chances aren't good.

In late July/early August - there will most certainly be snow in the mountains above the snowline. If you don't want to travel to the more commercial ski resorts, you could stay in Cooma and take a day trip to Mt Selwyn skifields for a great day of snowplay. Tobagganing and snowplay is also popular at Smiggins or Perisher. You don't HAVE to ski to enjoy the snow but you do need to go TO it. It rarely comes to us and we like it that way as it makes life quite difficult when it comes down off the mountains :)

If you are in the area and need up to date information, call into the Cooma or Jindabyne visitor centres where the friendly folks will be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will it snow in Cooma in late July, early August?

Oh - and I noticed you posted this in the Sydney forum. Cooma is about a 5 hour drive away from Sydney......

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Will it snow in Cooma in late July, early August?

Hi tez.. I was just reading your post.. Can you recommend any places for 2 families To stay in cooma.?

Also, what is the distance between cooma and mt selwyn snowfields?

Cheers Mathew