We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Advice

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clevedon
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Advice

Would it be easy to get a train from the airport to Macleay Lodge in Potts Point? Does anyone know how far it is from the railway station (Kings Cross) to the place, as we don't want to be lugging suitcases very far and don't know if it would be easier to get a taxi. Also would we be safe using Kings Cross station to get too and from sightseeing in Sydney. (we are two women travelling on our own)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,238 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Advice

You're looking at just shy of a kilometre walk.

With two of you travelling with suitcases, personally, I'd suggest catching a taxi. The minimal price difference between purchasing two train tickets and catching a taxi is worth the convenience.

Kings Cross Station isn't particularly the most attractive of Sydney's stations, but I wouldn't consider it unsafe. It gets rowdy on Friday and Saturday nights - as does most parts of the main strip - but the upside is that it usually has a lot of foot traffic.

Edited: 12:04 pm, April 28, 2013
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Advice

i think u can 'do' a lot better than staying in the kings cross area.

it is really imo not an area that shows sydney off at its best altho the lodge's location is not too bad.

but having to walk the gauntlet of darlinghurst road to/from the station every time u want to go somewhere would become a bit of a downer.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,527 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Advice

Depending on time of day and traffic, a cab to the Cross is going to cost in the vicinity of $60. Train fare will be $16.90 each + walk.

If you are arriving during the day then cost may be the influencing factor. If you are arriving at night then I would suggest you get a cab.

Clevedon
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Advice

Thankyou all for your help. We will be arriving in Sydney about 8am and we were going to purchase a My Multi 3 ticket at the station, as we want to go to the Blue Mountains etc. so do you think it would be worth getting the train to Kings Cross, then a taxi to the Lodge. That wouldn't be too costly would it?

Once there perhaps using the buses will be a better option.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Advice

I don't think a taxi driver would be very happy about a 1km fare. You could get the 311 bus if you get the timing right.

And personally, I love that area of Sydney. The food is phenomenal, you're only 1 train stop from the CBD and you can walk down to the harbour (Woolloomooloo or Elizabeth Bay)

Clevedon
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Advice

Your right of course! I'm sure it will all work out. Can't wait to come and visit your amazing city and surrounding areas. Half the fun is having all these experiences, that end up as fantastic memories.

7. Re: Travel Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 02, 2014