We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? Yes another I know sorry

Quirindi, New South...
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay? Yes another I know sorry

I am planning a family holiday in sydney. We would like to go to the aquarium, Taronga Zoo, Australian Museum to see the dinosaurs and the wildlife zoo near the Aquarium. Maybe the eye tower too. Suppose we should take them to see the bridge and opera house too even if it is just looking from the ferry.

I am looking for somewhere to stay as cheap as possible (Maybe under $200 if possible but cheaper would be a HUGE bonus) in August. There is 5 of us 2 adults 5, 3 and 1 year old at time and an appartment would be even better so we could cook to save some money. Somewhere near the aquarium etc so we could walk as much as possible as we are still deciding if we will drive or fly and if we do fly we are 100% country bumpkins so it would be way stressful I couldn't drive and I don't think DH would be much better. Suggestions please?

Thanks

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay? Yes another I know sorry

use www.wotif.com as a search engine.

just enter your criteria in the sydney tab and then narrow down your choices by location.

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay? Yes another I know sorry

YHA has family rooms, but shared kitchen facilities. City Hotel is another.

While I like Meriton Apartments, they are not very cheap. Hyde Park Inn might be an option worth looking at. They have kitchen/ettes.

Edited: 2:42 am, April 09, 2013
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay? Yes another I know sorry

Don't drive if you are staying within the CBD - parking fees alone would be far too hefty. Make use of the free 555 bus that does a rectangular loop around the city, including a stop at Circular Quay for the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge. Otherwise, walking to Darling Harbour shouldn't be too difficult either, depending where you are beforehand.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,755 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay? Yes another I know sorry

Are you bringing along a pram for your one year old? How far you walk with your kids will have a fair impact on the location of your accommodation. As you've mentioned, your primary focus appears to be predominantly around Darling Harbour and a few points around the rest of the city.

Although $200 is a tight budget for the five of you, it is absolutely doable, as long as you're willing to look at all options. As suggested by lien, looking at sites like Wotif.com, will provide you with a search option to narrow down hotels/apartments. Woolbrokers at Darling Harbour maybe a suitable budget option, similar to a backpacker in that its a shared kitchen, but designed more like a lodge. Lot of families and school groups as opposed to backpackers. They do have family rooms with private facilities.

Whilst the 555 is a free bus, it's often crowded and really not pram friendly. As most of your attraction selections are already in Darling Harbour, the rest of the highlights would be better served by utilizing the monorail. Family Ticket will cover 2A2C and the little one is free. Not the cheapest option but very convenient with kids and you'll have access to areas which would take considerable walking to.

Quirindi, New South...
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay? Yes another I know sorry

yes we will have a pram, possibly a double for DS3 as well. Which does make it hard catching buses/ monorail etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,755 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay? Yes another I know sorry

Double pram as in top and bottom or double width? The double width in particular would be difficult on those forms of transport, unless its collapsible, and I think the ramp on the ferry is just wide enough for the double.

I really think that having a hotel with the closest proximity to Darling Harbour would be your best option, as it has the cafe, restaurants, attractions, there is shelter for any weather, access to monorail, lightrail, bus and ferry.

It also means that should your kids decide they've had enough, or the little ones need rest, you can easily return back to your accommodation.

I'm also assuming the littlest one needs changing. There are two particular locations which are great for this, level 5 Westfield in Pitt St Mall, and Level 6 David Jones Elizabeth St store - both are serviced regularly, have mothers feeding rooms and secure.

Quirindi, New South...
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay? Yes another I know sorry

As in sife by side yes so even harder.

Hobart, Tasmania...
Level Contributor
156 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay? Yes another I know sorry

HI

Did you find a place to stay? Please let me know as I am in same situation as you.

Cheers!

9. Re: Where to stay? Yes another I know sorry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 30, 2014