We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Bondi - North or South

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from Bondi - North or South

First time Sydney visitor looking for tips on urban hikes.

I am staying in the CBD. I have plans to bus out to Bondi, hike the shore north and then take a ferry from Watson's Bay. But I've read that heading from Bondi to Coogee might be a more interesting day. Thoughts?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Bondi - North or South

yes apart from the last bit north around south head, the track south from bondi to coogee is much more scenic.

why dont u get the ferry to watsons bay, do a bit of a walk around there, then catch the bus to bondi for the walk south and then get a bus back to the cbd from any of the stopping points along that walk.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,482 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Bondi - North or South

Hi,

The further north you head the warmer it will get. The opposite applies to travelling south.

If you walk north the local council (Waverley) have spent squillions on the cliff top walk to the north of Bondi which starts at the North Bondi Golf Club. This is very, very high (you are a looong way above the water) and for a large part follows the cliff edge to Watsons Bay via Macquarie Lighthouse. In place you do have to divert to surban streets around sheer drops. If you look down onto the rock platforms you will see fishers on calm days who have climbed down the cliffs (highly dangerous but the ropes and ladders exist).

The walk lien has described is much closer to the water and coffee shops. IMHO both are excellent.

Cheers,

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Bondi - North or South

My suggestion:

1. Catch ferry to Watson's Bay. See South Head, Camp Cove beach and The Gap.

2. Catch 380 bus to Bondi Beach. Have lunch/drinks.

3. Walk to Coogee. Catch 373/374/M50 back to the city.

There are many other "urban hikes" in Sydney. My favourite is Balmoral Beach to Taronga Zoo. Manly to the Spit is very popular, as are the tracks in Lane Cove National Park.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Bondi - North or South

To me, the most scenic walk in the Watsons Bay Area is the Heritage walk from Rose Bay to Watsons Bay. I find vistas of the Harbour much more interesting than looking out to the horizon over the ocean. There's aways something to look at on the water, the walk takes you down to some lovely very private beaches and you also get to ogle at Sydney most expensive real estate. The hardest part of this walk is finding the start as its tucked away at the end of a dead end street. Use Google maps.

Edited: 4:37 am, March 17, 2013
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Bondi - North or South

^^^^

I like this route too, but I wouldn't call it a "walk". There are short tracks through Hermitage Foreshore Reserve, Nielsen Park and across Parsley Bay - however the vast majority is on roads (albeit pristine suburban streets with $5m+ houses). Make sure you have your phone with Maps so you don't get lost.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from Bondi - North or South

We did the bondi to coogee walk earlier this year and wish we done it from coogee to bondi instead as Bondi beach was much better to end the day and lounge for a few hours. The views between these 2 beaches are amazing and beautiful though :)

7. Re: Walking from Bondi - North or South

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 25, 2014